Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 1967 XLH that I do not get to ride as much as

Customer Question

I have a 1967 XLH that I do not get to ride as much as needed. Last time out, the oil tank was filling up and overflowing. So obviously oil is returning to the tank, but is slow leaving the tank. Oil was also spewing out the breather shortly after cranking. I have removed and cleaned the oil pressure check ball, but have not run the engine yet. If the problem is NOT due to sludge or a sticking check ball, could it be anything else except a broken key in the feed gears, what could be the problem? Thanks, JPM

I just wanted to add that I am an experienced mechanic.  I have owned this bike almost 40 years and have rebuilt the motor three times.  I am just hoping you folks can provide me with some other solution other than rebuild the pump, which as you know, involves removing the engine.  Thanks, JPM

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I suspect the oil tank is just over filled. it is a common problem.- remove the allen plug from the bottom of the crankcase and drain the excess oil. a tea cup full would be normal, anything more would be excessive.- start and run the engine until it gets to operating temperature. at that time, check the oil tank level. it should be far enough below the top of the tank to allow an air gap. remove oil if you have to. never top off, ad or change oil without first running the engine and oil to operating temperature. I recommend checking the oil before a ride. if there is oil, leave it alone. after a ride, check the level and determine if you need to add.always change the oil and filter after a ride. let me know if you need more help.Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I was expecting something other than an obvious solution that only a complete mechanical novice would overlook.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve, I checked the obvious such as oil level and oil cap gasket fit. I have been riding this bike for 40 years, I know how to check the oil. The oil level is always between the full and refill mark on the dipstick.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
I check the obvious things. Oil tank lever, oil cap gasket, oil pressure switch and oil pressure is fine.