Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

conical clutch on john deere gator how or can you adjust trans…

conical clutch on john deere...
conical clutch on john deere gator how or can you adjust trans grinds when trying to shift
3/27/2014
Motorcycle Mechanic: Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician

If it grinds when going into gear then the driven (rear) clutch is still turning. This can be caused by idle speed that is set too high, the wrong belt is installed, the drive (front) clutch spring is worn or other parts in either clutch are worn out. Some grinding was normal on those if you weren't completely stopped or weren't moving the lever with a quick and firm motion.

The clutch should engage between 1350 and 1600 RPM and disengage at 1300 RPM. This can be checked with the parking brake set and the tranny in neutral. Raise the box and observe the clutch action as you raise the RPM.

If your RPM is set too high, the clutch will not disengage. If the belt is too wide or too tight, the clutch will not disengage. If the spring on the drive clutch is worn or broken, the clutch sheave will not move out all the way and will not disengage. Other problems can also cause the clutch to stick, such as worn bushings or cam arms.

Check those things and let me know what you find. For some of the clutch tests I would need your VIN number which is located on the rear of the machine.

Doug
Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician