Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

FRAME number location? on Mule 2510, year: 1993, Mod KAF620A

'FRAME number' location? on Mule...
'FRAME number' location? on Mule 2510, year: 1993, Mod KAF620A .
Problem: Heavy moisture in the oil, does this require complete overhaul or otherwise? Please name Best online marketplace to buy the required parts? The unit: Low hours, lives indoors, original tires Sorry to be such a geek!
9/14/2012
Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician

Kawasaki Doug :

Hello

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

Your VIN location will be on the front as shown in the diagram or under the seat above the fuel tank.

Kawasaki Doug :

There are a couple of ways to get coolant into the motor.

Kawasaki Doug :

Are you getting white smoke with a sweet smell in the exhaust?

Kawasaki Doug :

If the seal on the back of the water pump fails, you will get coolant directly into the crankcase. This will cause the oil to foam. You may get some moisture coming up the crankcase vent into the air filter houseing.

Kawasaki Doug :

If one of the head gaskets fails, you will have coolant trying to burn in the combustion chamber. This will cause smoke and you will also get pressure in your coolant overflow tank causing it to blow out on the ground.

Kawasaki Doug :

You can get a good idea of where it is leaking by the symptoms.

Kawasaki Doug :

To repair a water pump, drain the coolant, remove the hoses and remove the pump. They can be rebuilt, but it's probably cheaper to just put a new one in.

Kawasaki Doug :

You can purchase parts at a number of online shops like www.mrcycles.com www.babbittsonline.com or from your Kawasaki dealer. Ebay often has the parts listed as well.

Kawasaki Doug :

For a head gasket leak, you need to remove the head (s), have them checked to make sure they aren't warped, replace the gaskets, set the valve clearances, etc. Much more involved then putting in a water pump.

Kawasaki Doug :

I would also do a valve job if I were pulling the heads on a 1993 model.

Customer:

pressure is not evident with overfrlow

THank you, XXXXX XXXXX change out the pump

Is it possible to retrieve a copy of this transcript / chat?

Yes, on more involved but may be requried to go that path.

Yes on the valve job, etc as the unit has low hours, lives indoors, with original tires but

we understand your advice.

Kawasaki Doug :

They were going to add a print option to the chat page, but I'm not sure if it's working yet. I don't see it on my end. You will get an email with a link back to this, so you can return anytime. The information will stay available for at least a year.

Kawasaki Doug :

You can find the engine manual here http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kawasaki-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/

Kawasaki Doug :

The small engine motor is very similar to the version used in the Mule, so that portion is the same.

Kawasaki Doug :

You want the FD620 manual from the list. The fan/radiator is different from yours, but the water pump location and replacement is the same. Your radiator is out front, that one is on the motor.

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Kawasaki Mule manuals can be found on www.tradebit.com for a very cheap price.

Kawasaki Doug :

Let me know if you need more help.

Customer:

As there does not appear to be a 'leak' near the water pump, is it that the 'leak' may not be evident externally?

THanks for your time. What problems are associated with the fan / radiator with situation as this?

Customer:

The service likely is excellent, now up to 'Geek n Go'!

thanks from Louisiana

Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
If the rear seal of the water pump fails, coolant goes into the engine and not on the ground. If the front mechanical seal fails, water goes onto the ground.

I would flush out the entire system with a hose and water. Avoid using any harsh cooling system flush kits because your motor and radiator are aluminum. I have never ever replaced a radiator unless it was from a crash, so you shouldn't have any problems with it.

As long as your fan comes on when it's hot and the machine is being driven slow or is not moving, that should be working fine.

Doug
Doug E.
Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician