Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

kawasaki Mule 4010 Fuel injection problem. Have replaced fuel pump

Customer Question

Kawasaki Mule 4010 Fuel injection problem. Have replaced fuel pump twice and now its going out again. loss of power and missing. i can turn it off and turn the key on without starting it and let the pump run and then start it and it will run for one min just fine and then starts bucking and missing.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX am I speaking to ?

If you can give me the 17 digit frame number I would like to run your serial number that will give me the exact model and also how many hours are on this unit ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
model # XXXXX XXXXX kaf620s year is a 2009 according to the sticker under the steering column
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 years ago.

James I look all my question up by the frame number there for I can give my customers the BEST possible answer, I'm opt'ing out and I will let one of the other experts guess what you have, by the way that is not the model code !

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i just googled kaf620s and came back with many mule results. where is the frame number located?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hey dont opt out please! you seem to be the right guy? You have seen may fuel pump failures on these fuel injected mules right? Plus the idle air pressure sensor also right?
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 5 years ago.

You have seen may fuel pump failures on these fuel injected mules right? yes i have seen fuel pump failures on these units.

where is the frame number located?

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
kaf620 is the model # XXXXX the year is a 2009. Its way out in the barn tonight. Would this info work inplace of the frame #?

yes we can but if it is the wrong unit i may not have accurate info for you. lets give it a try.

i have talk to the Kawasaki rep about this issue they had an ATV that had the same issue. the issue was the owner was fueling up on his farm with plenty of dirt and dust getting into the fuel tank from the gas can. the dust in the air was getting in his fuel tank also. they had him use all kinds of filter when filling the gas can and fuel tanks and the fuel pump issue went away. since that was done.

the best way to confirm if it is a fuel pump is a fuel pressure test with a fuel pressure gauge.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am wanting to drop a different fuel pump into the tank like one of the ninja pumps that you can buy for less than $100 and it has the same hookup as mine..however it wont fit right in the tank and so i would have to modify the tank or use my housing with the pump from the ninja etc. These pumps are $400 to $500 ea parts cost....i understand what you are saying about the dirt and dust and I am in a concrete garage filling up with the tank being emptied out and actually being cleaned out with lint free rags and inspected inside with a bright light to make sure it is surgically clean quite often and the fuel pump is still failing. i have seen numerous complaints about the pump failing and i think ethanol has something to do with it as people switching to av gas say their problems go away. I am not going to switch to av gas. The fuel test is a volume over x time test is what the dealer told me and what i have also read on the net. like 3cc in 3 seconds? and when i turn my pump on with the key it pumps a lot of fuel...its after 60 seconds of use it starts to fail i think. Can i put an inline pressure gauge and drive with it inline and watch what is actually happening?

yes that is the best way to test the fuel pressure is have it in line to do the test. yes the ethanol is the major issue also. as the ethanol attracts moisture and that can cause corrosion or deterioration in the fuel system.

i am not a fan of av gas as it is meant to be used at very high elevations. the best that can be used is racing fuel as it is consistent and a higher quality but i understand very expensive to use for every day use. mixing it 50/50 with pump gas can help.

i would use the mule housing with the pump from the ninja

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would the ninja pump have too much pressure?

no not too much pressure as the they run about the same pressure and the regulator is what adjusted the fuel pressure. the running fuel pressure is about 45 PSI and the pumps will put out more than 52 PSI plus and the regulator brings the pressure to the needed running pressure.

if you have more questions I would be glad to help