Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2003 Honda Rincon 650 ATV, It falls on it's face…

Customer Question
HI, I have a 2003...
HI, I have a 2003 Honda Rincon 650 ATV, It falls on it's face with throttle, I just rebuilt the carb and put it back together and still runs the same, it will idle but gogs bad with throttle, just for grins I unplugged the Throttle pos. sensor and it still ran exactly the same, could this be the problem??
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/23/2012
Motorcycle Mechanic: Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Christopher
Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
christopher :

Hello how are you

christopher :

Why did you rebuild the carb? Has it been sitting?

christopher :

Did you completley disassemble the carb and soak the components?

christopher :

Are you there?

christopher :

Post back to this chat when you are back on and we cant proceed

Customer:

Hey, I rebuilt the carb because a forum I belong to gave that as a suggestion, I hadn't used the Quad since early DEC

christopher :

Does it run any better with the choke on?

Customer:

Not Really

christopher :

Is the airfilter installed and the airbox fully assembled

Customer:

Presently air filter is off

christopher :

It will bogg like it is without everything fully assembled

Customer:

Well I can hook it back up and see if that helps, if not how can I get back to you??

christopher :

Let me go over a couple things before you go

Customer:

ok

christopher :

To properly clean a carb it must be completley disassembled, including removing the mixture screw, the components soaked in a quality carb cleaning solution overnight, then everything blown out with compressed air. If you did not take those steps i would go over it again

christopher :

One moment and i will post a pic of the carbs components, just in case you need it

christopher :

Full Size Image

christopher :

If you have any more problems or questions let me know. You will find a link back to this chat in your email. Please remember to click on the accept button, it is the only way i am compensated for my time....Thanks

christopher :

Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated

Customer:

I took it all apart, cleaned it real good put all new jets and orings etc. the only thing I really found that was bad was the o ring on pilot screw. I should tell you that I had used the quad for about 2 hours a couple of weeks ago pulling a grader for my driveway I came back to my house and talked to my wife for a minute while idling and when I went to pull away is when the problem started

christopher :

If you have it back together now you might as well reassemble the air box and give it a try. Often times debris become dislogged from inside the bowl and end up in the slow speed / mixture circuit of the the carb. The only way to cure this is to soak the carbs body in the cleaner to break the gunk down

christopher :

This includes removing the mixture screw. Fyi it has a spring, tiny washer, and a tiny Oring at the end of it

Customer:

Yup I replaced both of those o rings

christopher :

Good

Customer:

Well I will go finish putting the cleaner back on and see, what do you think about TPS?

christopher :

Cant be sure until we are sure the carb is clean

Customer:

All right I will get back to you

christopher :

Keep me posted

christopher :

Good luck

christopher :

ok, i am on and off of here throughout the day / night, so if in not online when you come back, post any concerns and the site will alert me as soon as i check in.

Customer:

Well Chris I put the airbox together and nothing changed, the rpm's come up some When I pull the choke out and give it full throttle but just slidghtly

christopher : That is a sure sign of a lean condition (lack of fuel). At this f
christopher : Point I believe your problem lies in the carb.
Customer:

Hey, like I said the rpm come up only slightly and only if I give full throttle while doing this

Customer:

I f you think I should take carb off again, what is a good cleaner to soak it in and for how long?

Customer:

Would Berryman cleaner be o'k'?

christopher : I use the carb dip sold through Yamaha. Usually a good overnight soaking does the trick.
Customer:

Hey Chris, I did as you said and soaked the carb and blew it out twice and put it back together with no change?? I have no problem making sure you get paid and leaving good feedback but sometimes when I get back on here to view your answers I can't view them?? Any idea what to do next?? I was very meticulous in cleaning it and blew out every orifice I could find twice

christopher : Put everything back together and with a piece of tape cover half of the air intake. This will richen up the mixture and indicate if we have a lean condition. I.e. an air leak or if the problem still lies in the carb
christopher :

Any progress

Customer:

Hey Chris, I did as you said and covered half the intake, didn't change anything really, still the same

christopher :

Ok give me a moment to post the proper TPS readings

christopher :

Adjust the TP sensor position so that the resistance between terminals A and B is 580 - 620 Ohms and tighten the torx screws

christopher :

There are three terminals in the connector A is the center, and B is one of the outside. A=(Yellow/black). B=(Green/yellow).

christopher :

The next thing i would check after that is for a worn cam, not uncommon for this machine.

christopher :

I would observe the rockers while cranking the engine over, the rockers should open the valve completley (allmost completley crush the spring) compare all of them, both intake and exhaust should move the same distance.

Customer:

Hi Chris, I did check TPS with meter and it seemed to be within specs according to the manual, I took the carb to a bike mechanic and He went thru it and then put it back on again with no change. I tried spraying starting fluid a little while running and it seemed to want to stall with that. Sorry I haven't left feedback but nothing has solved the problem yet. When I get a chance I will check the valve function. I did notice that the rubber diapragm inside the primer bulb valve looked wrinkled, I couldn't see any holes or tears, they don't sell the rubber to rebuild them you have to order the whole thing and they aren't cheap $65.00-75.00. any thoughts about this?

christopher :

Have you tried to cover the air intake and attempt to rev the engine?