Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

Where to obtain a wiring diagram/schematic for Polaris Magnum

Customer Question
330 4x4 ? Had...
Where to obtain a wiring diagram/schematic for Polaris Magnum 330 4x4 ?

Had problems with "run/off" switch on left bar before... dirty connection... cleaned... went on merry way. Now (about a year later) had the same problem (fired up fine and ran until it died right there). Tried many things to restart until battery ran down. Recharged battery. Now nothing. No light, engine turnover, or even a click.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
2/9/2012
Motorcycle Mechanic: Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic

a wire diagram is found in the service manual. did you want to buy a service manual?

if not I will help you with the issue you are having.

check for battery voltage to the red wire on the ignition switch.

let me know the results of the voltage test

The ignition switch has four pins: wh/rd tracer, rd/wh tracer, 2-bn/bk tracer, 2- or... the two orange pin is hot, the other three are grounded.

With respect to the service manual, has it a complete diagram? color? cost?

it is a black and white manual. with a complete wire diagram. $73.00 still avalable through the polaris dealer

do you have a volt meter to tell the amount of voltage that is on the orange wires to the ignition switch?

I have about 6 volts on the orange wire pin.

check the battery voltage at the battery with the

1. key off
  2. key on

let me know the results

I have 13 volts at the battery in "off" and "on" positions

with 13 volts at the battery and only 6 volts on the ignition switch. the most common failure is the Power Control Module #29 we see them fail they use to have a black box and had issues. so they changed to a different style PCM and they still have issue. the new silver box is not as bad as the old ones.

Is there any way to troubleshoot or bench test the PCM?

What's the part #, and cost of a PCM?

What's the part#, and name of service manual?

no way to bench test the PCM but we more tests on the unit can be done to confirm good grounds to the PCM and the run/stop switch is ok. check the voltage on the red/white wire and on the red/black wire at the run/stop switch. let me know the voltage

(NNN) NNN-NNNNMODULE-ELECTRONIC CONTROL $263.00

Manual

(NNN) NNN-NNNN2004 - 2005 MAGNUM 330

2004 MAGNUM 300 HDS

disconnected at run/stop switch. Four pins... first two are brown w/black tracer, then gray, and what looks like orange w/blue tracer. There is no power on any pin in the off or on position at ignition.
their are two plugs in the left side handle bar switch four wires in the one plug and five wires in the other plug. that is what the manual is showing. did you test the power to the run/stop switch with the ignition key on?
affirmative. I tested the run/stop switch plug (the 4-wire) with ignition in on position... no power at any wire...
check the brown (Ground) wires into the PCM for good continuity to ground. if that is good the power control module is only allowing 6 volts to the system. and the ignition switch is not allowing that six volts to the rest of the system.
Sorry back so late. Had to take care of a wayward bull.

Checked for continuity twixt body ground and brown lead on pcm connector... good.

I'm still concerned with the run/stop switch. Can you tell me what contacts are open/closed in the "run", and "stop" positions. Heck... while we're at it, what's a fella got to do to get that service manual complete with wiring diagram/schematic?

no worries i was out also

i would like to give you copy of the wire diagram but it will look like a kid did it in crayon and like it has been faxed to you five times when you get it. but i can give you the switch section.

graphic

Cool...that'll help... will fiddle further before condemning pcm... thanx... have a goodun.
thank you if you need any thing else let me know so I can help you.
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic