Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
7400257

my 1991 Kawasaki Bayou 220 electric start has no fire when

Customer Question

my 1991 Kawasaki Bayou 220 electric start has no fire when u pull start it it has no fire when u push the starter until u let off of it then u get one spark. What do i need to do to fix it?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 5 years ago.

Kawasaki Doug :

Hello

Kawasaki Doug :

On the early 220

Kawasaki Doug :

on the early 220's, there was a problem with the stator wiring not being sealed. If the oil wasn't changed often enough, tiny metal particles would build up and short it out.

Kawasaki Doug :

The cure was to remove the stator, wash it and seal the wire connecting points with epoxy gel.

Kawasaki Doug :

That may or may not be the problem, so I will give you all the test data. The issue you are having is that a ground has failed and the connection is only made when you push the starter button or if you toggle the kill switch on and off. This could be a bad connection in the windings or in the CDI box.

Kawasaki Doug :

The first step is to remove the engine and chassis grounds, clean off all paint or rust and install. The engine ground is always a problem being the silver paint doesn't allow for good contact.

Kawasaki Doug :

Next is to test the trigger coil / crankshaft sensor. This is a two wire plug that comes out of the top of the recoil area.

Kawasaki Doug :

Unplug and check with your ohm meter. You should have 100-150 ohms. Next, set your meter to AC volts. Crank the motor. You should have 2-3.5 volts. You will need a decent meter or peak voltage meter to read this.

Kawasaki Doug :

Here is the coil test.

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

On the 91 model, you have a charge coils and trigger coil. Give me a moment to upload that data.

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

That is the CDI test data

Kawasaki Doug :

There was an ignition change so disregard the early post on the trigger coil. Here is what you should have on the 91 model.

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

The reading between the B/R and R should be 100-190 ohms. The reading on the pick-up coil should be 85-130 ohms, not 100-150 as I posted earlier.

Kawasaki Doug :

Where the B/R and R wires solder to the coil is where they shorted out. If you find this reading is off, remove the stator, flip it over, wash it off and seal that connection with epoxy gel.

Kawasaki Doug :

That should be all you need to test and find the problem. Let me know if you need more help.