Christopher
Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.
5111025

1996 polaris 425 magnum 4x4 atv cooling issues.

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Christopher replied 6 years ago.

christopher :

Hello how are you

christopher :

You have a bad rad cap. Did you replace with an oem cap? What is the pressure on the cap

Customer:

13 lb. cap that was replaced

christopher :

Oem?

christopher :

That really shouldnt matter, your cap is bad

Customer:

not sure ordered it through bike bandit

christopher :

The fan does run correct?

Customer:

yes have even tried running fan full time.when temp light comes on fan is not running as water is not circulating because it is below inlet and outlet tubes

christopher :

Replace the cap. It is not holding pressure, keeping the coolant in the system. It is also not allowing the coolant to return to the system after cool down

christopher :

The cap is responsible for all of that. You can get a replacement form any local auto parts store, just needs to be no more than 14 psi

Customer:

there is pressure on the cap when I remove it but what you say makes sense .just can;t see getting a bad replacement cap.

christopher :

The cap needs to maintain the 13 psi it says on the sticker, othrwise it will allow the coolant to be pushed right out of the system. Just like whats happening to you. I have found new bad caps in the past. Its not that uncommon. You should be able to get a replacement for less than 10 bucks

Customer:

well I will try another cap as I am out of options and totally frustrated.

christopher :

It really sounds that simple. If you have more problems or questions let me know and we will get it figured out. Please remember to click on the accept button at the end of this chat, it is the only way i am compensated for my time...Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tried a new radiator cap same result overflow bottle fills till coolant gets to low in radiator and stops circulating.

Refill it and start the engine with the cap off. Look to see of the coolant is circulating, if not you likely have a broken impeller.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
impeller is new. coolant circulates fine untill the level gets below the inlet and outlet at the top of the radiator because of the coolant going into the overflow tank.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Check to see if perhaps the radiator neck is warped or bent . If so it would not allow a proper seal.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
radiator neck is fine but what I have just discovered is that the bike runs good in the shop but when you add a rider after it is up to temperature (195) it starts to overflow within a quarter mile.I am begining to think along the lines of posibbley a head gasket causing the pressure spike as the collant does't get above 195ish.
You have me thinking about this in my sleep now. My next thought was a head gasket. Use a cooling system pressure tester and pressurize the system. Leave the pressure in it overnight, if its leaking you will find it, head gasket of otherwise.