Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

Honda foreman 1998 honda foreman 450.....no spark

Customer Question

1998 honda foreman 450.....no spark
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

RACE TECH :

How are you ?

RACE TECH :

Those 3 wires, are your charging circuit wires and not for ignition. What you need to do first is check all fuses, check battery voltage, make sure you have a known good or new sparkplug, ground it against the cylinder head crank the engine over and check for spark visually. If sand till no spark, remove the sparkplug cap from the igntion coil wire by turning it counterclockwise, trim back 1/4 inch of wire and reinstall the sparkplug cap on the ignition coil wire clockwise. If still no spark, you will need to check the igntion coil primary and secondary resistance, check the pulse coil coil ( AKA. trigger coil, pulse generator ) which is located in the same casing as the stator where you checked continuiy on all 3 wires. If still no spark, you will need to test the igntion switch, run/stop switch and wiring. If you still have no spark, replace the CDI unit.

I hope you have found my answer helpful. If I have helped you,please click accept. Clicking accept if the only way I am paid. Thanks & Goodluck RaceTech :)

You may be wondering how to reach me in the future, if you may have another question. You can achieve this by requesting me to answer your question or in your question, put FOR RACETECH.

RACE TECH :

FYI: The regulator is part of the charging system as well. it regulates the votage to the battery, so that your battery isnt overcharged. Your stator acts as your alternator, this is what produces voltage and then routed to the voltaged regulator where it is regulated and then routed to charge your battery.

Customer :

Hello racetech...i need to know how to check ignition coil primary and secondary resistance..(what wires..what ohms of resistance)checking pulse coil ( location,how to check ) do i not check cdi box before replacing it...how do i do this... Don

RACE TECH :

Reading

RACE TECH :

You cant test the CDI.

RACE TECH :

You have to test everything around it.

Customer :

ok whata about circuits before i buy a cdi box

RACE TECH :

Do you not have a service manual for this unit ? Are you aware of what a service manual is and whats inside of it ?

Customer :

yes i know what one is but i dont have one

RACE TECH :

OK, got you. Let me see if I can find one

Customer :

the local honda dealer can have one next week...im trying to find and repair problem today

RACE TECH :

I was about o tell you about the dealer. I do use another source for my manuals, that are cheaper than the dealer.

RACE TECH :

I download most of my manuals, but you have to decide if a download would be betetr and print the pages you need or having the paper back copy is better for you

RACE TECH :

I found one for 4.25$ in US money for you.

Customer :

wow....

Customer :

can i contact u via phone?

RACE TECH :

Were working on that feature soon, from what I hear. But I cant contact you at the moment. Exchanging contact information with you, they will fire me. I like my job.

Customer :

gotcha

RACE TECH :

Here is the link to the manual

Customer :

is it possible that the stator is fried?

Customer :

k

RACE TECH :

If I have helped you please click accept. HERE

RACE TECH :

No way to tell without testing. Honda is known for CDI and ignition coils. Not many of them fail though.

Customer :

ok so how do i test it?

RACE TECH :

With a digital hand held mutli-meter.

Customer :

yes i know...but what wires and what resistance is acceptable

RACE TECH :

Some of then require a peak voltage adapter.

Customer :

i have that as well

RACE TECH :

All that is in the service manual. I work on so many makes and models, I cant recall the readings for that unit.

Customer :

k send me the link for the manual

RACE TECH :

Cick here