Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

ive got a 2000 polaris Sportsman 335...hot light stays..ve checked

I've got a 2000 Polaris...
I've got a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 335. The hot light stays on all the time even at start up. I've checked grounds and they seem to be fine. The fan works when I direct wire it. I found a blue/white wire unplugged that I can't find where it goes. I have a shop manual but still can't figure where it goes. There are two Blue/white that are plugged in. One goes to the light light and the other end goes into a module. The one I can't find where it goes comes from the fire wall and has other wires that all go into power block. Is this wire for an option not on this model?
7/17/2011
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
the blue white wire from light goes to the fan controller. in front of the gas tank. i only see the one on the wire diagram. if that light is not going out it could be a bad fan controller.
Not sure where the 335 controller is. In the service manual only the 500 has a controller. I sent you an update when I saw you were working on my issue.
Are you talking about the LR60 Fan and Hotlamp switch?
Yes that is what it is mark as on the wire diagram. the parts fich is calling it a
SWITCH-THERMISTER,LR-60 #32
So you suggest I replace that and not the thermister? Can I test the thermister?
the fan is not on until you jump the wires to the thermistor. is that correct?

I edit the last response

yes the fan doesn't come on until I jump it.
if it were a bad or shorted thermistor the fan would be on also. does the unit get hot enough for the fan to come on by itself?
Don't know, I just picked it up for my kids and when the light stayed on I wouldn't let them run it too long.
disconnect the blue/white wire from the LR60 and check for continuity to ground with a ohm meter on the Blue/white wire on the temp light side of the wire.
I will do that in the morning but what am I looking for as far as reading? After your reply I will accept your answer and appreciate your time.

the ohm meter needs on lead on the negative post of the battery and the other meter lead needs to be on the Blue/white wire. the reading should be open no continuity. if you have no continuity their test the blue/white wire to the LR60 controller it should show no continuity on a cold unit. it will show a ground when the coolant gets above 215 degrees.

let me know the results when you get them

Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic