Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

already replace..ingnition..voltage..de igniter to the spark plugs

Customer Question
hi i have a yamaha...
hi i have a yamaha 1981 maxin xj550 with no spark i already replace the igniter and the ingnition plugs . and i need to now what the voltage range from de igniter to the spark plugs
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/16/2011
Motorcycle Mechanic: 32dmadden, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 6 years ago
32dmadden
32dmadden, Motorcycle Mechanic

32dmadden :

First check to see that you have a 12 volt supply with the key in the on position on the positive connector to both coils. There is a ignition fuse in the fuse box. If you have the 12 volts then the other wire coming from the igniter grounds the coil when it is time to saturate it. When it ungrounds the coil is when the spark is released. There are also two pick up coils down by the crank that tell the igniter when it is time to fire. They should both be putting out A/C voltage when the engine is turning over. I'll be here if you have more questions.

Customer :

I TEST THE WIRES FROM THE IGNITER TO THE COIL PUTING THE RED WIRE FROM THE TESTER TO ONE OF THE WIRES OF THE IGNITER AND GROUND THE OTHER TO THE CHASSIS AND GIVE ME 12 VOLTS AND WHEN I CRANK THE BIKE THE TESTER VOLTAGE GO UP AND DOWN IS THIS A CORRECT TEST TO SEE IF THE IGNITER IS SENDING THE POWER TO THE COILS

Customer :

and how to test the coils beacuse eh

32dmadden :

When you are talking about the igniter are you refuring to the black box under the seat or are you calling the ignition coil the igniter?

Customer :

yes the black box

Customer :

all wires from the box are supost. to have 12 volts or one is ground and the other is power

32dmadden :

If these wires you are conneting to are the ones that go to the ignition coils then the answer yes. That is the ground circuit going off and on. When a wire has a 12 volt supply and the power goes through a resistance like the ignition coil then when the wire is not grounded it will have 12 volts. When it gets a complete ground the voltage drops to zero.

Customer :

is one wire from the box to each cylinder

Customer :

beacuse 4 wires come from the box

32dmadden :

Should have two dirrerent wires. One for the right side coil which is cylinder 2&3 and one for the left side 1&4. I believe the wire colors are orange for the left and gray for the right.

32dmadden :

These are the ground wire for the ignition coil

32dmadden :

Test the voltage up by the ignition coils this will test the wires too.

Customer :

is two wires for coil both got 12 volts or one ground and one power or both power

32dmadden :

Ok lets start from scratch. Do your testing on the wires at the ignition coils under the tank. You will have four wires going to them. Two of them will be red with a white strip. The red/white wire comes from the fuse box and supplies 12 volts to power the ignition coils. Of the two wires left one is orange and goes to the left coil that runs cylinders 1&4 the other wire is gray and runs cylinders 2&3. This is the ground wire for the coil that goes through the igniter. It is not grounded when it sparks and is grounded when the coil is charging up. When cranking and checking the voltage on this wire you will have 12 volts off and on very rapidly. So check for 12 volts on the red/white wire at the coil. Then check each ground wire gray and orange seperatly. When cranking the voltage will switch on and off. If it does this every thing up to the ignition coils is working.

Customer :

yes but is two wires for ignition coil not one

Customer :

i got you , but the ingnition coils got popwer from

32dmadden :

Each coil has two wires coming from its body. One is the red/white that supplys power to the coil. the opther wire is the ground wire coming from the igniter. So each coil will have a seperate ground wire. One coil gets the orange and the other gets the gray.

Customer :

i got it ,

Customer :

ok if i test the red and withe wire and give 12 volts is ok, but this olso go up and done when the motor crank , and the one come from the box [ orange/gray] olso give 12 volts and go up and done

32dmadden :

The red/white should have a constant 12 volts all the time. the orange and gray wires will have 12 volts up and down when cranking.

32dmadden :

That red and white wire will have a constant voltage with the key on

Customer :

perfect, if red/withe go up and done is somethin wrong right

32dmadden :

Yes it should remain constant. If it goes up and down there is a problem

Customer :

you think is the cdi box or something else

32dmadden :

Since it won't fire on any plugs it is going to be something common to both coils. Other than the fuse that supplies the coils power the box is the only other thing I can think of. Do you know if you replaced the box with a known good one? But if the voltages check out the igniter is good

32dmadden :

Oh Just thought of something else. The kill switch is between the fuse and the coils on the red/white circuit. But this will show up as no voltage on the red/white wire.

32dmadden
32dmadden
32dmadden, Motorcycle Mechanic