Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

1983 suzuki gs 550 L motorcycle. the green/ wire and the…

Customer Question
1983 suzuki gs 550 L...

1983 suzuki gs 550 L motorcycle.

the green/white wire and the black/white wire from the kickstand kill switch are not connected up above the headlight.

also above the headlight   are two unconnected wires, a Green/white and a red. where do they go and do they need a diode

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
5/20/2011
Motorcycle Mechanic: Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Druideck :

Welcome, Please work with me to get the answers you need.

Druideck :

Hi, are you there? If not I can switch to Q&A mode in a bit.

What kind of info do you need

The green/white goes to the sidestand check light.
Black/white wires are ground wires that go
to the negative side of the lights.
Red wire is a fused power wire from your fuse box,
it goes to the ignition switch.
There is a small diode used in the wiring between
the side stand green/white and the oil light green/yellow wire.
All these wires connect to the instrument console lights,
and red goes to the ignition switch.
---

to the negative side of the lights where is this located or do i just screw them to a ground

it goes to the ignition switch. does this go directly onto the switch?

Thank you

The black/white wires are already grounded
through the wiring harness.
They should go into the instrument console
to ground the various indicator light bulbs.
They usually connect through the plug
on the instrument console. (speedo and tach unit)
Yes, the red is the power for most of the bikes
functions. It goes to the ignition switch directly.
When you turn on the ignition the power will
go from the red to the orange wire.
---
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic

how do I access the ignition switch and i found a green yellow wire but it is inside the headlight (in a bundle) and it runs upward then disappears. could i see it if it was attached to the ignition switch with all the other wires around?

thank You very much

All your wires will come from the bike's
main wiring harness and then they
either go to the dash unit directly
or they connect inside the headlight.
Most of your wires should connect inside
the headlight. There will be wires
coming from the main wiring on the bike
and then there will be wires that
come down from the dash console or speedo unit.
There is usually just a big connector
plug that comes from the speedo unit
and plugs into another plug inside the headight.
If it has been modified you will have to trace
wires with a multimeter and see where they go.
If you see two wires in the headlight that
are the same color they should probably be
connected.
The green/yellow wire will connect to
the oil light in the dash and the other
end will go down to the engine where it
connects to the oil pressure switch.
I can try to upload a partial wiring diagram if that will help?
---
the diagram would help very much the loose red wire is what concerns me the most
The red wire should be power from the fuses.
It goes to the ignition switch:

graphic
thanks i'll take a look
Hi the red wire in question originates at the ignition switch then passes through a green connector in the headlight and then is not connected to anything up behind the instrument panel. the only other wire not connected is the g/w behind the instrument panel.
If the red wire is connected to the ignition
switch then the other end of it goes
to the connector plug and then it goes back to
the fuse box and the regulator.
It connects to one of the 15 amp fuses
in the fuse box.
There should be a red wire coming
from the fuses that connects to the
red on the ignition switch.
Usually they would connect
at the connector plug.
Check if the red wire has broken off inside
the wiring harness somewhere.
It should be there somewhere.
--------------------------------------------------