Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 08 street glide with bub 6''boom can pipes .The…

Customer Question
i have a 08 street...
i have a 08 street glide with bub 6''boom can pipes .The baffles are still in . IS THERE A EASY WAY TO reduce the sound a little. i leave early in the morning ,love the pipes , except when leaving the hood .
on line i saw that someone had wrapped the outside of the baffle with a non burn rope material. My Bike has a race tuner if i do what you might suggest ,will i need to re-tune? looking for ideas , thanks ,steve
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
1/10/2011
Motorcycle Mechanic: ...., .... replied 7 years ago
....
...., ....
Brian :

Good day and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to help you with your problem today. You could use muffler packing & I suppose what you describe sounds like heat tape/exhaust wrap, wrapped around the baffle. With that said fiberglass rope, or what is used a fireplace door gasket might also have been used. I would not see the efficiency in that.

Brian :

As far as tuning it goes that should not make a big difference but it is a wait & see approach.

Brian :

You simply would note the performance & check the plugs after a nice ride to see if there was a noticeable change.

Brian :

Whether enough to re-tune or not.

Brian :

I bet that things sounds just beautiful though.

Customer:

this may be a stupid question: i have about 1/8 of a mile to get out of my hood , if i packed muffler packing material in the pipes just to get out of the hood ,then removed it ,could that screw something up ( 1/8 mile? )

Brian :

It wouldn't screw anything up, but that isn't something that you would want to do. That packing isn't something that you would want to handle. if you are looking for something removable, a set of additional baffles to slide inside the existing ones could be easily fabbed up. If it is only an 1/8th mile, I think, if I could, I'd just push it. I used to have to keep my bike in storage out of the neighborhood because said issue. I feel your pain.

....
...., ....