How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steve Your Own Question
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Category: Motorcycle
Satisfied Customers: 6983
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
Type Your Motorcycle Question Here...
Steve is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Harley-Davidson 1948 panhead engine for sale

Customer Question

I met a man with a Harley-Davidson 1948 panhead engine for sale.It has no title or paper.He said an old man gave it to him for work performed .I did get the motor numbers,which is what is used for title.How can i find out if this is titleable .
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Welcome. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

you need to contact the DMV for a replacement title.

you should contact the State Police to ensure it was not stolen. in 1948, the engine number was the vehicle VIN for Harleys.

let me know if you need more help.


Steve and other Motorcycle Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Steve,i think im asking questions about legality of vin numbers seller should have done to promote sale.It doesn't seem legit.What are your thoughts on this.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

there is no way to know without checking it yourself. the fact it didn't come with a title is a red flag.

just because he should have ensured it was a legal motor, doesn't mean he did.

it may be stolen and he may not even know.

better for you to check it out yourself.

when you apply for a replacement title, they will likely run the number.

you can call the state police and save yourself a wait at the DMV.

it's not likely you would be cited for possession of stole property, but you would lose the motor.