Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

MY 06 yamaha rhino 660 backfires when you let off of the accelerator.

MY 06 yamaha rhino...
MY 06 yamaha rhino 660 backfires when you let off of the accelerator. Just replaced the fuel pump per dealer recomendations, but this did not fix problem. Checked air cleaner and intakes. All were clean. It has a strong gas odor in the exhaust.
11/29/2010
Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic

RACETECH :

Hello ?

RACETECH :

Welcome to Just Answer where we diagnose, repair and give excellent suggestions. I will be glad to assist you today. I may have a few question's along to the way to find the culprit of the problem, answering them accurately as possible will allow me to give you the best answer to my knowledge. If at anytime I answer the question along the way to find the problem, please click accept. Please leave positive feedback as I will for you. Before leaving negative feedback try to work it out with the expert. Lets get started..?

RACETECH :

please let me know when you have entered chat.

JACUSTOMER-fqn5wji4- :

go ahead with solution

RACETECH :

How are you ? The first thing before I give you any suggestions on the fix for this, I need to know when the problem started and are there any mods done to it ? Has the Rhino sat for an extended period of time without being ridden ?

JACUSTOMER-fqn5wji4- :

Problem started about six months ago. Performance cdi box installed two years ago. Machine gets used at least every week, and now during hunting season every day.

RACETECH :

How long does it take you to run a tank of fuel out ? How many days , weeks or months ?

JACUSTOMER-fqn5wji4- :

About a week.

RACETECH :

That's not bad at all, now lets move on to the next.

JACUSTOMER-fqn5wji4- :

Been using marine grade sta-bil since problem started.

RACETECH :

What octane fuel are you running ?

JACUSTOMER-fqn5wji4- :

Standard unleaded regular, 87 I think

RACETECH :

I would use at least 89 octane, lets move on to thers and at the end Ill give you my thoughts.

JACUSTOMER-fqn5wji4- :

ok

RACETECH :

When was the last time the carb was serviced ?

JACUSTOMER-fqn5wji4- :

Has not been.

RACETECH :

Have you owned it since it was new ?

RACETECH :

Is there any gasket or exhaust leaks ?

JACUSTOMER-fqn5wji4- :

Yes. it only has about 1700 miles on it. None that are obvious.

RACETECH :

I have a few suggestions I will list here.

RACETECH :

I would first service the carburetor and clean it, give it a good bath. Another one is the air and fuel mixture screw, back it out 1/4 turn and see if the problem cures. The next suggestion I have are checking for exhaust leaks and running some good octane fuel in it. I have seen the 1/4 turn work the most and cleaning the carb work the most in your case.

RACETECH :

Make sense ?

RACETECH :

Do you have any questions ?

JACUSTOMER-fqn5wji4- :

Can it be cleaned properly on the machine? Where is the mixture screw located?

RACETECH :

The carburetor would have to be removed from the machine and the screw that I speak of is on bottom of the carb right beside the bowl.

JACUSTOMER-fqn5wji4- :

Ok. We will try the suggestions. What kind of cleaner do you recomend?

RACETECH :

Do you have more questions ?

RACETECH :

I recommend yamaha carb dip, it mixes 50/50, it works and will not damage rubber or plastic parts like the carb dip at the parts store. You can use the carb dip at the parts store just make sure you remove all rubber parts and don't soak over 30 minutes. In either situation you will need to disassemble the complete carb to clean it properly.

RACETECH :

Do not disassemble the throttle housing or throttle parts, other than removing the throttle cable.

JACUSTOMER-fqn5wji4- :

Ok. will try it.

RACETECH :

You bet. Is there anything else ?

JACUSTOMER-fqn5wji4- :

No. thank you.

RACETECH :

Please click accept if the question has been answered and you are satisfied. Have a great night

RACETECH :

Stay warm

Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic