Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

dies..throttle..Thoughts?? Thanks It has fresh gas and new spark plug

1988 sno scoot that won't...
1988 sno scoot that won't idle and dies when throttle is applied. Have to apply choke in order for it to keep running. Thoughts?? Thanks

It has fresh gas and new spark plug
11/25/2010
Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic

RACETECH :

Hello ?

RACETECH :

Welcome to Just Answer where we diagnose, repair and give excellent suggestions. I will be glad to assist you today. I may have a few question's along to the way to find the culprit of the problem, answering them accurately as possible will allow me to give you the best answer to my knowledge. If at anytime I answer the question along the way to find the problem, please click accept. Please leave positive feedback as I will for you. Before leaving negative feedback try to work it out with the expert. Lets get started..

RACETECH :

let me know when you have entered chat here

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

what to you need to know to get things going?

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

are you there??

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

what to you need to get things going

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

still here.....are you??

RACETECH :

Im here

RACETECH :

Sorry

RACETECH :

Has it sat for an extended period of time without being ridden ?

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

about 7 months

RACETECH :

OK, I have aomse suggestions

RACETECH :

Ok, I have some suggestions. I need to upload some documents ok

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

ok

RACETECH :

Just another moment they are uploading now

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

ok

RACETECH :

Go it.

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

ok

RACETECH :

ANSWER:

From what you have described , you are running lean on the air/ fuel mixture. The lean condition could be from a dirty carb especially if the unit has been sitting for an extended period of time , if it has been more than a year since the carbs have been serviced or the fuel system has become contaminated with dirty fuel . The first thing I would do is service and/or rebuild the carb with new parts, as fuel becomes old and gummy just after a few weeks and can block the jets and passages. The carb should be removed, disassembled correctly and dipped in carb cleaner. I recommend the Yamaha carb dip because it works. Yamaha's Carb Dip needs to be mix 50/50 with warm water. Also Yamaha Carb dip will not affect rubber parts like other carb cleaners will. After you dip the carb it will need all jets and passages to be verified with spray carb cleaner to make sure the fluid will make it through the intended passage and exit another passage. Use a piece of small wire to clear the jets out, hold the jets up to the light and you should see a perfectly round circle. Most of the time the pilot jet is the one that becomes clogged and gummed, therefore csusing a lean, no start or choke needed operation. Notes:

Don't forget to remove the old fuel from the fuel tank and replace the fuel filter on the bike if it exist.

RACETECH :

Full Size Image

RACETECH :

The diagram abobve is of your carburetor.

RACETECH :

If the question has been answered please press accept.

RACETECH :

Hello ?

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

Can you provide me with the correct carb settings?? thanks

RACETECH :

When the carb is removed from the sled. Turn each screw in clockwise and count the number of turns. This is the number if turns that you will set the screws back at.

RACETECH :

Make sense ?

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

it does.........but I didn't take count when I tried to do some adjustments on it............my bad. I've worked on Arctic Cat carbs in the past and the advice that you gave earlier makes good sense and was my thoughts as well but is nice to get confirmation from you on this. Any other thoughts if this doesn't work?? Thanks again

RACETECH :

Im sure youll find the problem in the carb

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

I do as well............advise on the air screw setting

RACETECH :

start at 1 1/2 turns out from seated

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

ok.........thanks for the help........hope to have my daughter riding in the morning

RACETECH :

Have a happy holiday season

JACUSTOMER-fbv3bdrz- :

you too..........and safe travels if you are on the road

Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic