Brian D
Brian D, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  35 Years self taught shop owner, mechanic, Dyno tuner, electrical expert
29090346

Kawasaki Bayou 220Hose coming from bottom of carb. leaks gas slowly.

Customer Question

Kawasaki Bayou 220

Hose coming from bottom of carb. leaks gas slowly. Must gok to something but I can't figure out where hose goes
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Brian D replied 7 years ago.
welcome to just answer. the hose that comes from the bottom most fitting is an over flow and a drain. so one of the 2 things are happening. 1. the carb is overflowing and will have to be cleaned because the needle and seat are not cutting off the fuel. 2. the screw that is right next to the hose is the drain screw and it could e loose or it could need to be loosened up and re tightened to re seat the tip. check out theses 2 things and if you need more help just ask. Thanks for using just answer. Brian D
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Brian

Actually, there are two hoses coming from bottom of the carb.. The one towards the back of the bike is leaking gas. The one closest to the screw (towards frnt of bike) is not. Are they both drain or vent hoses?

Expert:  Brian D replied 7 years ago.
the only drain is the one next to the screw on the very bottom of carb. the other hose were is it connected to the carb? Brian D
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the one leaking is coming out of the bottom, center back. The hose not leaking is coming off bottom but front right. Screw I see is visible from left and towards front of carb
Expert:  Brian D replied 7 years ago.
i was looking at the diagram for carb and he one that is leaking seems to be the over flow hose. try this to see if you can flush out what is keeping the needle from seating and stopping fuel flow completely. loosen the screw by the other hose, turn fuel off let carb drain until the flow stops. once it stops turn fuel back on and allow it to flow through carb for 15-20 seconds then tighten the drain screw up and see if this gets it to stop leaking. make sure you catch the draining fuel in a safe container and discard of it properly, if it is clean you can just dump it back in tank. if this does not work you will probly have to remove the carb and clean it out. thanks Brian D
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I followed instructions above and never can get flow to change. When screw is loose or tight, gas drips from same hose at same rate. This is only screw I see. I think the other screw I see has a spring on it so I assume it is for idle adjustment. I never can get a good flow of gas thru either hose.

Thanks

Expert:  Brian D replied 7 years ago.

from what you are telling me you are looking at removing the carb and cleaning it!

Brian D

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Figured that last night, but what is interesting, I turned off the gas last night before I went to bed and it leaked into a cup all night. I assume when you turn the gas off to the carb., it woulf stop the flow, but the cup was full this AM. (8 oz.).
Expert:  Brian D replied 7 years ago.
Witch means you also have a bad petcock! so you need to look at that also. Brian D
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Brian D replied 7 years ago.
thanks for the accept. if you ever need any more help we are here for you. Brian D