Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

HELP!!!! I have 82 urban express with only 650 original mi. really!

Customer Question
PLEASE HELP!!!! I have 82...
PLEASE HELP!!!! I have 82 urban express with only 650 original mi. really! (I got it 6yrs ago from an old nun who hardly used it and it ran great), it sat for last two years, cleaned everything out tank, carb, jets, etc. I think carb is flooding from float level too high, it starts ok then after a minute or two, runs terrible with gas on, if I turn gas off after about a minute it runs good until gas must run out of bowl, if turn on gas while still running before bowl empties it will run good until bowl must be overfilling again, I assume. I have checked everything & I mean everything, auto choke, CDI continuity, timing, spark, etc. I dont have a float level guage but float & valve look good & seem to operate normally.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/29/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic

The float needle #7 and seat are not sealing off the fuel due to a bad needle and seat, debris in the needle and seat. or the float hight is off.

Float level:10 mm (0.39 in)

graphic