Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Bike..it was knocked over while running in neutral by a friend…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 Yamaha...
I have a 2007 Yamaha YZF R6 Raven. The bike had not been run very often in about 3 weeks to a month. About 2 weeks ago it was knocked over while running in neutral by a friend. No major damage to the body except for a cracked mirror, and a scuffed up frame slider puck. Since this has happened it has been rode 3 times. On the Third time out a week ago today, the bike would not shut back on after filling up at the service station. A friend came and we jumped the bike off without the car being on. I went on my way and about a mile from home the bike shut off while I was riding. It has not come back on since. The battery was determined to have a bad cell/not holding a charge and was replaced. After replacing the battery and trickle charging it, the motorcycle starts to turn over but dies when I try to start it. After trying several different things to remedy my problem I got a Fault Code 12 last night. Which is the Crankshaft Possition Sensor not giving normal signals. Could this have been from the tip over? Where do I go from here?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/29/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 8 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi my name is Kenny

If I can get a little more info from you, which side did the unit fall on, and are you in California, or maybe do you know if you have a California model ?

And from what I'm reading you are still having a problem starting it, correct ? even with the new battery ?

Thanks

Kenny

It fell on the right side. It is not a California model. I am almost certain. Yes, I am having no luck starting it even with the new battery. I have checked fuses and the ECU harness wires just to make sure. Tried to charge over night again and when trying to start the engine started to turn over but died... the gages died, and when it come back on, Fault Code 12 showed up.

Thanks for that info

Is the starter motor turning the engine over with ease, or is it laboring when its turning over ?

You say that "the gages died" so is it loosing 12 volts in the system ?

Do you have a multi-meter for checking resistance and voltage ?

Kenny

It seems like it turns but will not crank. Laboring... I would say somewhat.

When the engine fails to crank, the gages loose power... Neutral light stays on however. I tested with the multi-meter. After an over night trickle charge the battery stands at 13.5-14V. After trying to start it it stays about 13.25-13.5.

I planned on checking the crankshaft sensor resistance sometime today.

OK, your battery looks Great

Here is what I want you to check first off, Check ALL battery connections, follow the ground wire from the battery and make sure that the connection is tight and clean, do the same thing on the positive side for the battery to the solenoid and then from the solenoid to the starter.

The CPS is located on the r/h side, you need to inspect the wires where they come out of the case and then follow them up to the plug, since the bike fell on the r/h side make sure nothing got pinched when it tipped over, it doesn't take much to pinch wires.

Disconnect the plug and with your meter set to R x 100 measure the resistance on the gray and black wires,

Tester positive lead to the gray wire

Tester negative lead to the black wire

Your resistance should fall between 248 ~ 372 ohms, this is at about room temperature, if your meter has an AC volts scale, then leave the meter leads connected and turn the engine over, you should get AC volts out of the sensor, if you can give me that number.

Also under the seat is the "lean sensor" if that came out of its place make sure that didn't happen.

Let me know what you come up with

Thanks

Kenny

Edited by Kenny O on 6/29/2010 at 7:34 PM EST
As soon as I get a chance to check these things I will do so and will let you know what the outcome is. One more thing before I start. If I happen to find pinched wires... would it be advantagous to replace a wire harness or would it be ok to repair?

One more thing to check before I forget, you should have a smaller wire that comes off the ground cable where it hooks to the battery, make sure that is plugged into the harness, that is what grounds the harness.

I'm for repairing wiring harness's as long it's done correctly, I prefer to solder the connections using silicone and shrink tubing, slip a piece of shrink tubing around the wire enough to cover your complete repair, cover the repair with clear RTV silicone slip the shrink tubing over the joint and heat up the shrink tubing and it will push out the silicone and completely seal your repair, there for you won't have to worry about water getting into the repair.

Kenny

I work on powertools for a Nissan plant and never thought about silicone and using it with shrink tube... then again everything is inside. haha, but very good information there. I will keep you posted on the progress. Thank-you!

Being around Jet-ski's as many years as I have you figure out these little tricks, let me know how you come out, of if you need something else let me know !

Thanks

Kenny