Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

My 01 katana 600 has trouble starting...goes dead..Wait a few minutes…

Customer Question
My 01 Katana 600 has...
My 01 Katana 600 has trouble starting. Sometimes it fires up fine, sometimes it just spins over and over, and sometimes it fires right up, goes dead, and then will not attempt to start, once again spinning over and over. Wait a few minutes and "sometimes" it will fire right up and do fine, other times it will spin and spin and all the sudden fire up. I have replaced coils, plugs, been through carbs several times, sync'd carbs..... However, sometimes it "seems" like the bike is not getting enough fuel, and other times it seems as if it's flooding.....

Additionally, my starter relay or soleniod, I believe is bad which is why I have to cross it over at the solenoid to start (start button will not work, and has been replaced also). Could the solenoid have something to do with the trouble cranking?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/29/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 years ago
yamsuzpolaris
yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic
solenoid only has to do with when you push the starter button to crank over then engine with the electric starter motor. I think what you have is plugged choke jets. you can go thru the carbs 1,000,000 times, but IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR, OR LOOKING AT, it wont make a difference. sometimes customers who dont know what they are looking for go in and then put things back together wrong, have no clue, and then can never figure it out. all the carbs should have float bowls removed, locate the choke passages, choke jets (more often than not the carbs have thin brass tubes that extend down into small holes in float bowls, then choke jets are TINY THIN SMALL and located at the bottom of those passages in the float bowls. they must be soaked AT GREAT LENGTH with carb cleaner varnish remover, THEN try to push a tiny thin wire down thru then and use squirts of carb cleaner and compressed air shots to make sure they are not restricted.) WHEW!!!!! I've seen many times when people, and even mechanics just dont get 'em cleaned out well enough, and bike wont start or only starts on 2-3 cylinders. let me know what you do, or maybe have a good motorcycle mechanic do this for you. I've seen people put floats back in upside down, jets in wrong places, etc, and without a specialist being there to watch what you do, you'll just go round and round in circles on something like this. Mark