Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Bike..gears..the clutch,and now it stick and wont turn, (locks up)I…

Customer Question
My bike over heats when...
My bike over heats when I drive it in town,and the brackes are almost to sharp(they seem to just grab)the gears will be hard to shift , over all it is very dificalt to even pull in the clutch,and now it stick and wont turn, (locks up)I have to pull over every 2 blocks and let it cool down. Im a women rider and dont know mutch...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/29/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician

Are the brakes locking up or the clutch is stuck or both????

If your brakes are getting hot and locking then you need to stop riding and get it to a shop. This is a dangerous situation that could cause an injury or death.

Doug
When I start to brake it will be exstreamly sharp and when I gear down I have to kick it down to change gears.
There are a few things it can be. Let's go with the brakes first.

Do they get hot? Make noise? Lock up? These would be indications of a serious problem.
If they are just touchy, you might not be used to the bike or you might try changing the lever or adjusting the rear lever to fit you better.

On the shifting, if you have to bang it into gear then there is something wrong. Either the clutch is not working or there is a shifting issue. Do you notice any clutch problems like it lurching, not engaging or not disengaging? Does it get worse or better as the bike warms up?

Doug
The brakes will start to make a nose,once again only when the bike gets over heated in town and the brake will grab sharply,when I pull the clutch in the bike wil keep running fowards,as for not turning,it is as if there is somthing getting stuck,it will stick and release at randim times
I'm not getting something and I apologize for not completely understanding what you are saying.

When you've been riding for awhile and the brakes are warmed up, when you pull in the clutch the brakes are dragging? Or are the clutch and brake problems two different problems?

Doug
When the bike overheats, the clutch will be hard to pull in,and it will be hard to put the bike in gear(it wont gear up or down smoothly,I have to kick it down.) the brakes at that point will be very sharp and will screech a bit. the fan or air cooler will be on and the bike will run rough,and now the steering will sudely stick(I cant turn the front end)I realy have to turn the handle bars one way then the other to release it
That's obviously an unsafe condition and the bike has some serious issues. I would recommend taking the bike back to where you purchased it or at least take it to a shop for inspection. The steering could be a misrouted cable or wiring harness, but the other items will require technical skill and special tools to work on. Stop riding it and get it looked at please.

Doug
Thank you for your help I will get it in asap thanks
Good luck and ride safe!

Doug