Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

An 06 kvf750c6f 4x4, mint, the 4/wheel drive wont engauge..clutch..4wd…

I have an 06 kvf750c6f...
I have an 06 kvf750c6f 4x4, mint, the 4/wheel drive wont engauge, the actuator on the clutch cover clicks, could this be the problem? Also the 4wd-2wd flashes back and forth on the dash.The wheeler was rolled over last year,& broke the swich housing, it was replaced and worked, I check all connections, they are clean & good.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/28/2010
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi my name is Kenny

Is the unit appear to be running in a rev limiting mode ?

Cover up one of the lights (2x4wd) and give me a count of how many seconds its flashing, as long at the 2x4wd lights are flashing it will not go into 4wd.

Also when you turn the key off are you hearing the engine brake actuator (on the top of the clutch cover) cycling, it should make noise for a couple of seconds ?

Thanks

Kenny

no it's not running in rev limit mode, I did hear the actuator cycling the first time I turned it off, the owner said the 4x worked in the begining of the ride, but when he came to use it it did'nt , the light flashes about every 3 sec. Also sometimes when you put it in gear it wants to go. The actuator just click.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX in mode 3 failure, this unit had a problem with wiring harness's there is a connector that gets corroded, we need to first pin point that and if its corroded then sometimes it can be fixed. Basically that will have to be eliminated and then we can move on from there. That will require the wiring harness will have to be repaired.

Are you going to attempt to repair this yourself ? if so do you have a multi-meter and are you comfortable using a soldering iron ?

Before we can move on, we need to eliminate some of the obviously problems and then move on from there, this 4wd system thats on your machine is pretty complex, not to say that you have to bring it to someone to have it repaired, but you will need to feel comfortable working on it under my direction ?

You have another problem that might be causing some of this also, there is a problem in your drive converter system, as you said "when you put it in gear it wants to go" something in wrong in the drive converter and or the belt, or the belt deflection is to tight. That is going to require you to remove the belt cover and inspecting

Did you just purchase this unit used from someone ?

Let me know what you would like to do here and get back to me.

Thanks

Kenny

Thank you Kenny, this machine belongs to an elderly man who baught it new. I did some work on his friend's wheeler, so he wanted me to look at his. I'llcheck the wireing, the thing with it wanting to go, is'nt all of the time, the actuator just clicks, I'm wondering if it could be part of the harness problem. The dealer said they have replaced them on some, is thier a way to test the actuator? I wont be able to work on it till morning. Thanks again for your help.

If you want to take a look at the harness we can do that, let me know

Thanks

Kenny.

I be around in the morning and for the most of the day

Hi Kenny, I checked all the wire con. they are clean, I took the plastic off so I can get a good look at everything, so far I'm not finding the problem, I'm going to remove the cluth cover & inspect ,I will keep you posted, I don't have much time today. Thank you so much for your time. Don.
More info. for you, I had the key on for about 1 min. the actuator cycled once, then goes, click,---click---click, about 2 seconds apart. also now the belt lihgt flashes, I did'nt start to remove the cover yet. I'll check more wires too.

Don there is a connector that is wrapped in the wire harness, you actually have to remove the wrapping on the harness to expose the connector,

I will post up a few pictures to show you its location, with the rear fender removed where the wiring harness goes over the top of the fuel tank its about there, this connector that I'm talking about is a little bigger then the size of a match book. the one illustration pointing to the rear connector is about the location on the unit.

It has white wires, brown wires and black/yellow wires going into it. That connector is the one that has a problem and if it does it needs to be eliminated.

Don't worry about the front connector, I don't think that will be your problem

Let me know what you find and then I will instruct you further.

Thanks

Kenny

graphicgraphic

Actually when you have that cover off, MAKE SURE you don't turn the key on with the actuator connected. I just want to let you know on that.

Thanks Don

Kenny

I found the plug, & cleaned it, I have power in & out, it was corroded, but not real bad. actuator still the same, I'll keep diggin.
now it's running like the rev limiter is on, must be getting close.
Do you have the belt cover off ? if so then you need to bridge the 2 pin connector on top of the belt cover, that is the "belt failure detection switch"
no, the cover is on. but the belt light is flashing.

So if it is then likely you are in "belt failure mode" there is a switch on top of the belt cover, 2-pin connector, unplug it an and put a jumper on the harness side if the belt light goes off then you need to remove the belt cover and inspect the belt and the switch.

!!! DO NOT RUN YOUR UNIT WITH THE JUMPER IN THE HARNESS !!!!

Let me know what you find

Thanks

Kenny

Good morning Kenny, I'll be in & out today on this thing, I put a jumper on the harness side, the belt light still flashes, this is realy gettind deep. Can I unplug connections with the key on to check things out & not harm the system?

Let me know when you get back, you do have a multi-meter ?

Kenny

Hi, I'm back, I borrowed a multi-meter, but does'nt seem to work, I can get another, but not till late. can I reset the limp mode, & how? Thanx, Don.

Yes you can try but if there is something wrong it will come right back,

Under the seat you will find a Grey and Black connector's

Key off

Disconnect both black and gray connectors and reconnect then opposite (crisscross) the gray to the black connector

Turn key on

THEN disconnect the 2 pin connector (belt switch on top of the clutch cover)

Observe the belt light flashing for at least 7 seconds

Turn the key off, and then turn it back on and give it at least 7 seconds

Turn key off

Reconnect everything the way it was and you should be good.

Thanks

Kenny

This model has only black connectors under the seat, and non that will cross, I can't even find a vin # XXXXX verify, but on the bottom of the seat is-kvf750c6 2/21/06.

Did you find the 4 pin black connector, the gray connector is usually right next to it, sometimes they get lost or fall off, you might have to order a new one.

I'm sure you have a C6, the 750's are pretty much all the same.

Part numberNNN-NN-NNNNthey retail for about $18

Kenny

I have a black 4-pin with 4 wires going in, red/white, yellow/blk, blk/red, & brown, 3 comming out, red/white, yellow/blk, & brown. This is a loop. Next to it is a 2-pin black "L" shaped black flat pin con. wires, blue & blk/yellow. I have the rear harness completely out,& inspected, nothing missing or fallen of. Mabey dissapeared, but , I don't know. This machine is like new. May God help us! Thank you!

I think is gone, it would be gray, and its the same size as the black connector, the gray plug has no wires going to it, just like the picture

Kenny

graphic

Yes it's gone, but where does the other end go? Is it just a pig tail for resetting the system?

It just loops around the harness, its really just a dummy plug and is there for that reason of clearing the controller

Ok, that's ordered, two day's out. I'll be in touch, if I can do anything till then,please let me know. Thank you!!

Did you inspect your harness for that hidden connector that I showed you earlier ?

Yes, I found that & cleaned it. It was corroded, but not real bad, I have power on both sides of the connector.That's when somehow I tripped the limp mode, I had the key off when I cleaned the terminals, I checked every connection & they are clean.

OK Don you have to CUT that connector off and then solder all the wires individually, YOU can't just clean it, you have to remove it out of the system and then strip back the wires to get clean wire to solder, if the corrosion has traveled down the wire that isn't good, then sometimes you need to replace the harness.

Solder all the "browns" together

Solder all the "whites" together

Solder all the "black/yellow's" together

Go to Radio Shack and pick up some "Shrink tubing" to properly seal the wires and that will also insure that they don't short out to each other after the repair.

If you don't do it this way you will always have this problem

Kenny

Hi kenny, Im back with the same problem, I solderd the wire's together the way you said, I pluged the pigtail in to reset the belt mode, that worked, but All else is the same yet. 4wd, 2wd, flashes back & forth, the actuator solinoid is not cycling. The actuator did cycle normal when I started to look for the 4wd problem, I disconected wires under the front fenders when that problem started, the front wire connectors are not corroded, the wires look good, this guy rolled the machine last year & broke the 4wd switch, it was replaced & worked , I don't know how much it was ridden since. should I trace the wires from the switch?

Yeah you can, I don't know if you have a manual but if you need something on that I can help you out, I think that you have an engine back actuator, take the actuator off the front differential and plug it into where the engine brake and see of that one cycles them, that will test the actuator,

Kenny

It just click's, about every second, click, click, click. same as the other actuator. And no I don't have a manual.

Do you have another Kawasaki 4wd unit, or do you have any friends with one, basically I think you have a actuator control unit that might be bad. If you knew someone with a Kawasaki 4wd, it can be any model the control units are all the same.

Swap it out to see if that glitch goes away.

Kenny

Thank you very much for your help,you are very helpful. This one I think I'm going to have to ship out. How about a 96 mule 2510, transmission pops out of gear, Is there a rebuild kit, or just inspect & replace worn parts? Does this require a manual? Thank you!

Thanks for getting back, I thought about this one more, I still think we have a harness issue, these harnesses are really a problem, I don't think you have a component failure.

If you are going to bring it somewhere don't let them sell you any parts.

When I was with Kawasaki we replaced tons on wiring harness on this model.

I think that it would safe to say put a harness on it, also can you give me your 17 digit frame number.

Thanks

Kenny

as far down I had the machine,(plastic off,) I couldnt find a frame #, give me a hint.

Its on the l/h side front bottom frame rail about there the a-arm attaches

Kenny

found it, has skid plates, hard to see. JKAVDC136B504128

Kawasaki was taking care of some of these harnesses, you unit is to old, they were doing about 2 years after, I was going to see if you were close, looks like it went out of warranty in January of 07.

But I think you are looking at a harness to fix this thing,

You had a mule question, I think we need to start another question on that,

Thanks

Kenny

Kenny O.

Thanks for the quick pay, if you are going to post another question, if you want to request me you have to star out with that right away, then I'll get it

Thanks again

Kenny