Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

bike..hold throttle wide open for to even try to start..cools down…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 250f...
I have a 2007 250f with starting promblems after bike is hot. I have to hold throttle wide open for to even try to start but not till it cools down does it start. It happened today during a race and took 25 min to start. I have replaced the stator,cleaned and rejetted carb,and adjusted valves and no change. It does it whether it dies on its own or by the kill switch.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/28/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 8 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi my name is Kenny

Manufacture ?

It is a Yamaha

Thanks

It sounds like its definitely a rich condition, few things to check first off. You need to perform a leak down test on the top end, I have seen some abnormal intake valve wear, when you adjusted the valves did you notice any of them with real tight clearance ?

Also check to make sure you have free play in your hot start level, but make sure that the plunger is not seized up in the carb body, I have seen a good number of them frozen in the carb body do to moisture.

And making sure your carb is gone through and the float height is set properly, that should be 8mm.

If the top end has any time on it, I suggest that you do that leakdown, that is going to tell you the most what condition your top end is in

If you need anything else let me know, I think we have to narrow it down first if its in the engine, electrical, or carburetor ?

I have the service manual so we can get into the electrical part if needed, do you have a multi-meter ?

Thanks

Kenny