Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

IF YOU acel THROUGH THE GEARS HARD IT PULLS HARD...ign OFF…

Customer Question
IF YOU ACEL THROUGH THE...
IF YOU ACEL THROUGH THE GEARS HARD IT PULLS HARD. BUT IF YOU CHOP THE GAS ITS LIKE YOU SHUT THE IGN OFF FOR LIKE 2 TO 4 SECONDS.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/27/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Hi
I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this fairly easily

But 1st I don't quite understand 'AND WHAT GOES ONE THE BACK SPOUT ON THE FUEL PULSE PUMP?'
Do you mean 'what goes on to the rear spigot of the fuel-cock ?' ( If my English terminology makes any sense to you)

Please give as much background info as possible

Ride Safe
Bike-Doc
yes
Hi
The fuel tap is vacuum operated by a tube at the back which goes to the underside of an inlet manifold
As the engine is cranked the rush of gases down the inlet manifold causes a venturi effect resulting in low pressure in the tube
This pulls a diaphragm in the tap which lets the fuel through
If the vacuum tube is not attached to the tap this will cause air to be drawn in to the inlet manifold leaning the mixture & so when decelerating the fuel mix becomes too lean to burn
If the carbs have air shut-off valves then check the diaphragms & tubes for damage

Ride Safe
Bike-Doc

If you need to reply please do, otherwise hit "ACCEPT"
there are three ports on the fuel cock . One for fuel to the carbs,one to the intake manifold and the third one goes where?
Hi
If the 3rd tube is the same diameter the 1st it goes to the carbs
If it is a small stub from the bottom of the diaphragm housing then it is a vent hole (no tube)

Sorry for the delay in replying, due to computer problems

Ride Safe
Bike-Doc

ok now I know that everything is right on the fuel cock. But the bike still has the same problem. Now what?
Hi

The carb balance is crucial especially on v-twins - make sure the carbs are synchronised

It must be a fuelling problem as the electrics were not sophisticated enough in those days

Ride Safe
Bike-Doc