Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Voltage regulator..WIRING..I UN-SNAPPED THE TWO CABLES

Customer Question
how do you remove a...
how do you remove a voltage regulator on a harley davidson 2004 roadglide....WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR FROM THE FRONT, I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE WIRING ON THE LEFT SIDE....I UN-SNAPPED THE TWO CABLES ON THE RIGHT SIDE BUT THE LEFT SIDE IS THE PROBLEM
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/27/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Hi
I will gladly work with you on this one but I need more info

Why do you want to remove the regulator ?
Do you have access to a workshop manual ?
What colour wires are are at the connector (just to make sure there is no confusion) & is it that the block wont come apart ?

Ride Safe
Bike-Doc
Last night my bike had trouble staying on. I had to keep the RPM's up at stop lights and you could see the volt meter on the dash drop during riding and at a stop when I let off the throttle. When RPMs dropped, you could see my headlights dim and if I let off the throttle, the bike would try and stall. I have a Clymer manual for my bike but it's a bit confusing. I took the bolts off, unplugged the connectors (when looking at the regulator from the front of the bike, I unplugged two harnesses) but I can't lift the regulator off the left bolt due to a black harness that goes through a hole on the left side flange of the regulator, the harness runs underneath the regulator and I do not see where it could disconnect. Is this harness the one the manual mentiones that runs along the frame? Does it follow all the way to the battery comparment? Thanks for replying....