Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

already replaced the battery and the starter relay why wont it start?

Customer Question
I have already replaced the...
I have already replaced the battery and the starter relay why wont it start?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/26/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: ...., .... replied 8 years ago
....
...., ....
Good day and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to help you with your problem today. Are you getting spark? is fuel getting to the plug? when was the carb last cleaned?
i was getting spark yesterday but now it wont even click! so I'm not sure if the fuel is getting to the plug or not. And i cleaned the carb yesterday.
spark plugs don't click, what is it that won't click?

The ignition. I was getting at least a click when I would try to start it so I changed the starter relay . Then it started and ran for about 30 seconds and died and hasnt done anything since. I will tell you that I just bought this bike from someone who let this thing sit for 4 yrs without storing it properly. So had to clean out the gas tank from old fuel and clean the carb and lines before i tried to start it.

The ignition won't click either. The starter relay is what clicks when the battery does not have the amperage needed to start the machine. It will not currently turn over correct? That is a "new" battery? do you have a multi meter?
yes i do, and it reads 13.2. I thought the same thing so i charged the battrey all night and still nothing.
That wasn't why I asked, standing voltage really means nothing. With the meter connected to the battery, turn on the key & push the start button, let me know that reading?
12.3
But the engine will not turn over?
nope
If the relay is no longer clicking that tells me that you are losing power at the start button, either the button itself is an issue or the wiring to or from it & onto to the relay is the issue. There is also the possibility that there is an issue with the ignition switch. You need to start checking for power & continuity at those components. Let me know if you need more info.
ok thanks i'll give it try.
Excellent, keep me posted.