Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2000 suzuki: there a way I can bypass the neutral safety switch…

Is there a way I...
Is there a way I can bypass the neutral safety switch on my 2000 suzuki quadmaster? I keep burning them out.
6/26/2010
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic

Ground the Blue wire to the neutral switch. that is what the switch does is ground the blue wire to let the system know it is in neutral. the neutral light will be on constantly with this set up.

Let me know if you need any more info.

On the switch itself, which color should I ground it to?
it is a single wire the switch uses the chassis ground of the motor to complete the circuit. you can ground it to the frame, motor or a black/white wire on Suzuki is a ground.
I ground it to the battery and it still won't start.

the neutral switch goes through the reverse switch #11 try grounding the blue/black wire to the reverse switch.

let me know what you find

What color is the reverse switch?

Sorry i looked up the wrong LT 500.

try grounding the blue/black wire that is coming from the wire harness to the neutral switch. this may give you running issue as the CDI box will see the bike in neutral all the time and may not perform correctly.

what color is the reverse switch/

Sorry i am not explaining thing to well this morning. The revers and neutral switch are the same on this unit. try grounding the blue/black wire that is coming from the wire harness to the neutral switch. that should put it in the electrical system in neutral. you may want to find the problem with the system as it could cause improper running issues on this system.

let me know what you find.

four wires are going to the switch the first color is white or green/ yellow the second wire is blue/black the third is orange/black an fourth is black/yellow. which ones should i cross? thats going to the fuse box

the neutral switch on the Suzuki wire diagram shows

switch side harness side

blue------------------------------blue/black

red--------------------------------black/red

white--------------------------------white

black/white---------------------black/white

i ground the blue/black and it wouldn't start. which wire is the reverse wire to ground to blue/black?
Blue/red is for reverse
it keeps blowing ignition fuse

How do you have it connected now?

I disconnected it. I don't have any connections now. Is there any way I can call you?

Just answer will not allow us to exchange contact info. they will just block it out of the reply.

you most likely have a short to ground in the system for it to be blowing fusses.

do you have power to the meter?

yes

With the neutral switch connected it blows a fuse?

no - when I have the neutral and the reverse wires crossed then the fuse blow on the ignition

What happens when the wires are not crossed

It tries but it won't start. The orange/black wire that you said to cross over to is my hot wire.
l. green stripe or blue stripe/ white
2. Blue, black, green - ignition
3. Orange/black - hot
4. yellow/black

Here is my wiring colors
I did not see any thing were I recommend crossing the orange/black wire. I have a wire diagram for a 2000 LT A500F is that the unit we are working on?
No it is a suzuki quadmaster 500 - year 2000 atv
LT-A500F (QuadMaster) This is what Suzuki classifies a quad master
can you give me you vin and I can confirm that is what the unit is.

M407101760

that is not a Suzuki LT-A500F (Quad Master) 2000 vin number. the will look like some thing like this

JSAAM42A_12100001

a 17 digit vin

Could you tell me where to look for it please? The number I gave you was on the side of the motor. Thanks

Sure I need the frame number and that is stamped on the right side of the rear

frame pipe.

Here it is. JSAAM42A 5Y2101969

I need 17 digits and JSAAM42A5Y210196 is only 16 digits

Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
can you get me the vin number again?