Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

69 honda: motorcycle..high rpms..throttle it seems like its flooding…

I've got a 69 honda...
I've got a 69 honda motorcycle and the choke has to be on to start it. If you take it(the choke) off it screams to high rpm's. If you try give it some throttle it seems like its flooding. Any ideas?
6/25/2010
Brian D
Brian D, Motorcycle Mechanic
welcome to just answer. Check the slides in the carbs sounds like you have one or both in backwards and it will not close. the side of the slide with the cut from top to bottom goes opposite of the idle screw. check this and see if this is your problem, if not let me know what you find and we will look further. Thanks Brian D
Brian D
Brian D, Motorcycle Mechanic
OK now I'm a little worried. I accepted your answer a few hours after you gave it and I even sent you a response. When I hit Accept Answer it said that my funds had now been transferred. I'm hoping this is just a mix up and not an attempt to double charge me.
Your funds are in your account, by what i see on this end you have not accepted or paid for anything. so anyway what did you find with your bike? were you able to check it out and find out anything? Brian D
Yeah, I had just bought the bike a few days before and the guy said he had just pulled apart the carburature and cleaned it. Your idea seemed quite plausible so I took it apart and found that the slide was gummed up and unable to close, so I cleaned it up and I've been riding it since Saturday. I've got several other minor issues, but that's what I expected when I bought a 41 year old bike. I appreciate your help and remain perplexed why you never got my message or my acceptance. So after I send this I'll try and accept your answer again.
Got it that time, that is weird i never got your response or anything from the other day. glad you got it running, enjoy it. make sure you take it to a local bike night you will be the only 41 year old Honda there!!! thanks for the accept, if you ever need help we are here for you. Brian D