Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

1980 suzuki: 1000 cc and oil and gas is shooting out a tube…

i have a...
i have a 1980 suzuki 1000 cc and oil and gas is shooting out a tube that connects to the aircleaner , what makes this happen
6/25/2010
Brian D
Brian D, Motorcycle Mechanic
Carburetors have overflowed and filled the crankcase with gas and this has caused it to be overfull. need to drain oil and gas from crankcase, change oil filter. then you need to fix the carburetor's to stop the overflowing. this is common for a bike that has been sitting for a length of time without being used. hope this helps you solve your problem. Thanks Brian D
i have already replaced the needle and seats in all the carbs , the new seats did not have a little spring on the top , but the parts guy said it was superceded do yo u know if that makes a difference
If your crankcase is full of gas i would say he was wrong and they don't work for you carbs. the spring absorbs vibration so to keep the tip seated at all times. but i would say your problem is when bike is sitting not running. double check you float levels and bench test the carbs for leaks before you put then back on bike.
they do have the little spring inside the needle but not the clip type spring , does that matter , as i have just replaced them , and didnt drain oil yet
No the little clip spring would not make a difference one way or the other. Brian D
ok it is late now and i will do all that in the morning and get back to you tomorrow , have a good night
you to, and i agree it is getting late.
ok i drained oil and it was full, cleaned sparkplugs , changed oil filter , trying to start it with air filter off and the only way it will run is if i keep my hand over the intake son carb , pulled plugs on bottom of all 4 fuel bowls and there is gas running out of all of them
Sounds like you have got clogged jets and chock circuit in the float bowl. you need to do a disassemble and clean on the carbs. my first answer was correct about the fuel in the crankcase need to finish that question and then if you need more help with the carb problem i will be here to help. thanks Brian D
Brian D
Brian D, Motorcycle Mechanic
ok i have subbmitted new problem
Thanks for the accept, but i did not catch your new question in time another expert named Brian is helping you on that one. if you ever want to direct a question at anyone of us just put our name in the question line and we will get it. Thanks Brian D
ok i drained oil and it was full, cleaned sparkplugs , changed oil filter , trying to start it with air filter off and the only way it will run is if i keep my hand over the intake son carb , pulled plugs on bottom of all 4 fuel bowls and there is gas running out of all of them , they have turned it over to all mechanics can you help
let this question close we will go to other question. Brian D