Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2006 suzuki: shifting gears..frozen drive shaft with new bearings…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 Suzuki...
I have a 2006 Suzuki Burgman AN650 with hi rpms between shifting gears after a tear down and reassembly from a frozen drive shaft. Now the engine is up at 5500rpms switching gears instead of 3300 rpms and the shop would need to tear down to get at the CVT. The shop charge 7 hrs to tear down the cycle and fix the frozen drive shaft with new bearings. At $2600 and counting up, now the CVT and internal belt may need replacing which could be another $1000 for a CVT belt to $3000 for a new CVT transmission. Is there a load test that should have been done on the CVT and driveshaft working together than should have been done on this AN650 while tore down because I am getting charged alot to tear down to engine, CVT and DriveShaft point again?
PS. The Shop has had the cycle for over 2 months.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/25/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 years ago
yamsuzpolaris
yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic

there would have been no way to test for this operation or its failure or anticipate it unless this was know PRIOR to going inside this vehicle the first time. I checked into flat rate and to remove the casing unit that contains the belt and both clutches, for a belt replacement is 8.4 hours. at least thats what suzuki factory will pay a dealer if this was a repair under warranty. after warranty period, dealers can charge what they want, and many dealers will add a percentage or extra few hours on top of flat rate to cover extra time, as its very difficult for a dealer mechanic to do the job in the actual time allowed by factory UNLESS mechanic has done several of these same jobs to become much more familiar with them. I also checked on belt and clutch prices. factory belt is $336, both clutches are $1346. we did one of these jobs that involved changing a bearing the clutch shaft rides on, and to do this job for the first time ever here, it was a real learning experience. and what was worse was troubleshooting the cause of clatter sound that was a bearing crapping out. scooter had 12000 miles on it at least. I told suzuki I wanted to get paid for 20 hours for all the time spent and he chuckled and told me an extra hour for troubleshoot time. but this same customer also had extended warranty. he paid nothing and shop here took the bone on time and frustration. if anything else I can help with let me know. Mark

Relist: Incomplete answer.
I want to know if the shop is saying they are related then how come the CVT was not tested when connected back to fixed driveshaft and whether it is right to charge me again to tear down and whether the AN650 transmission can be worked on without another teardown now that the plastic is out of the way.