Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

honda: stator had melted the wire casing..reconnected..gauge…

Customer Question
I have a 1987 GL1200...
I have a 1987 GL1200 Honda Goldwing. While driving to work the three yellow wires that go down into the engine Im guessing is to the stator had melted the wire casing at the plug that joind them together. I reconnected the wires with about 4inches of a different gauge wire. I know it doesnt matter which wire goes where. The problem Im having is the yellow wires at the connection are still getting very hot and im afraid they'll melt again. Is the yellow wiring used on this model a defect and is there something else i can do, or is the stator going out and needs to be replaced. What is your oponion of using the poor boy conversion kit for the alternator and if so which alternator would i use if I went that route. I here the Geo Metro alternator is best. Please help I inherited the bike from my father in law who died which now has sentamental value.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/24/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 8 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi my name is Kenny

Generally what happens in the connector where the stator wires meet the main harness goes bad, the connectors inside get dirty and or just get loose, then they create heat and melt the pin connector.

As most stator wires get hot, usually too hot to the touch, you can try repairing the connection using some quality connectors, they can be separate of each other thats OK.

Then it would be a good idea to check the charging, you can check the stator output unloaded across the three yellows, I prefer to test them plugged in, (loaded) that way you are seeing what the stator is doing under a load.

Loaded across the three will be about 12 VAC, so one meter lead into one of the yellows and then probe the other two, if you were to see one of those down (below 12 volts) they likely you have one of the phases going out. Testing them unloaded you should see voltage over 50 VAC @ about 2500-3000 rpm.

Make sure you have a GOOD battery, if your battery is on its way out that will over load the system.

With a good battery and everything working correctly you should be about 14.5 VDC or above at about 2500-3000 rpm.

I would try repairing the wires first, just make sure you have good connections on the wires, use in line metal connectors and it would even be a bad idea to solder the connections, go to Radio Shack and get some shrink tubing and do it up right, I don't suggest wrapping the stator wires with tape as it will tend to hold in the heat, a nice loose sheathing around them is fine.

If you fall short on the stator output then likely you'll have to replace it, just remember poor connections will cause excessive heat.

Hope this helps, if you have any question please reply back and I'll be glad to answer.

Thanks

Kenny

Kenny O.
In the event the stator is bad what is your opinion on the using the poor boy alternator converstion kit with geo metro alternator.

Hey thanks for the quick pay and the bonus !

I don't know about that conversion, if you have a link on that you can post it up,

The stator from Honda runs about $280 retail, I'm sure that you can find it on line cheaper then that, going with the OE part insures a nice fit, and you won't run into any weird things from that.

There is also an aftermarket guy that rewinds you original, you can google him "Ricky Stator" you might see what he gets.

Kenny