Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Colorado: polaris..2009honda trx 250tm recon,2009yamaha wr 450 fy 2009…

I have a: Polaris outlaw 90...
I have a:
Polaris outlaw 90, 2010
Kawasaki KLX110, 2009
Honda TRX 250TM recon,2009
Yamaha WR 450 FY 2009

We are at sea level now and going up to Colorado and riding around 7500' to 10,000' Do I need to rejet?
6/24/2010
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi my name is Kenny

7500 you should rejet at least one size on the main, but if you are going up from there I would definitely drop the main jet a couple of sizes, the KLX runs an #80 stock I would bring that down to a #75 part number #(92063-1395).

If you are planning to rejet all your bikes before you bring then to your destination, I would suggest going at least one size on the mains, if you are going to be riding closer to the higher elevation that you listed then I would probably go 2 sizes.

You might want to bring one size bigger pilot jets on the smaller bikes, what happens is they loose there signal the higher you go because the air is so thin, and your engine vacuum is down so sometimes its harder to pull the fuel up at low speeds, and just remember that you don't have the oxygen that you do at sea level. The biggest problem you will face is the loss of compression, if you live at sea level you will appreciate how much power your bikes have at the lower elevations after riding in that elevation.

Careful not to over choke them when starting, and you see keeping the rpm's (on the power band) it will make them a little more responsive.

The Polaris 90 will likely suffer the most, I believe those are automatic clutches, what happens to them is they shift way to early and tend to go into a higher gear, I would bring some extra plugs for that one, and dropping the main on that 2 sizes will help.

If Polaris makes some heavier springs for the drive clutch that might be an option, I did check the parts fish and didn't see where they offered any, you might check in your owners manual sometimes those are offered.

Anyway just remember that the loss of compression is what you'll experience, so you are looking at about 20% drop at least.

And be sure that when you come back to sea level make sure you reverse everything back to where it was.

If you have any questions, please reply back and I'll be glad to answer.

Thanks

Kenny

Kenny O.
So 2 sizes on the main jets is all I need to do? dont need to replace the needles ? Do you know of one web site I can get all the jets from?

Yes I would go 2 sizes on the mains if you are going to be at the higher elevation,

I will give you a link for Babbits they are in Michigan you can at least look up the part numbers you need, some of the manufactures don't offer optional jet then you can go to dynojet, they should have everything you need.

I don't think that I would mess with the needles, if you are just going a visit, if you were to live there and ride at that elevation all the time then I would consider a leaner needle.

Thanks

Kenny

http://www.yamahapartshouse.net/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx

http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/index.aspx

I'll give a couple of links for the different carbs to help identify the jets. You should be able to go to any dealer and they can order them through Parts Unlimited also

http://www.sudco.com/mikunijets.html

http://www.sudco.com/keihinjets.html

http://www.parts-unlimited.com/home/home.do

Kenny