Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

1975 harley davidson..HOW DO I ADJUST THE CLUTCH SPRING ADJUSTING NUTS

1975 harley davidson..HOW DO I ADJUST THE CLUTCH SPRING ADJUSTING NUTS? THERE ARE 6 OF THEM AND I,M NOT SURE HOW FAR IN TO TURN THEM...
Hi
To adjust the clutch spring tension on your 1975 Harley :-

Remove the retainer nuts & retainers
Tighten each pressure plate nut 1/2 a turn at a time until the outer surface of the releasing disc is 11/32 in (ensure it does not go below 5/16) from the outer surface of the outer drive plate
Replace the retainer nuts & retainers
Readjust at pushrod

Ride Safe
Bike-Doc

If you need to reply please do, otherwise hit "ACCEPT"
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK SO THE PRESSURE PLATE SHOULD BE 11/32 OUT FROM THE CLUTCH SHELL HUB OR INSIDE THE HUB?..AND THEN ADJUST THE PUSH ROD.DO I PUT A LOT OF PRESSURE ON ROD WHEN TURNNING IT IN??OR TURN IT IN TILL IT JUST HITS OTHER END AND THEN BACK IT OUT 1/8 TURN??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I ADJUSTED IT TO WHERE THE PLATE IS IN 11/32 AND ADJUSTED THE ROD THE WAY I SAID ABOVE BUT IT STILL DOES NOT SEEM TO INGAGE WHEN LEAVER IS PULLED IN {ACTS LIKE ITS STILL IN GEAR} FOR SOME REASON..WHAT ELSE COULD BE WRONG??
Hi
Adjust the clutch release mechanism by
1 Loosen the control coil locknut then turn adjuster until there is lots of free play at handlebar end
2 Loosen the adjuster screw locknut then turn adjuster screw in until resistance is felt, CONTINUE TO TURN INWARD 2 FULL TURNS then tighten locknut
3 Remove all free play by reversing step 1

Ride Safe
Bike-Doc

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IS THE CONTROL COIL LOCK NUT THE CABLE LOCK NUT..??DONT NO WHAT THE CONTROL COIL IS OTHER THEN THE CABLE AT THE MOTOR BRACKET..??THANKS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY..SORRY I,M NOT ALL UP ON CLUTCH.
Hi
Yes. That is what they call the cable adjuster in the Clymer (U.S.) manual, coil refers to the outer cable

Ride Safe
Bike-Doc

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WELL I,VE ADJUSTED THE CLUTCH OVER AND OVER BUT IT STILL DOESNT WANT TO WORK SO I GUESS THE CLUTCH PLATES MUST BE BAD??IS THIS WHAT IT COULD BE??IT LOOKS LIKE THE CLUTCH IS WORKING RIGHT BUT STILL HAVE NO CLUTCH..WHAT DO YOU THINK//??
Hi
If you have tried to adjust with a NEW cable then it would seem that the clutch plates are worn out & need replacing

Ride Safe
Bike-Doc
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I JUST PULL THE NUTS AND SPRINGS AND THEN THE PLATES..IS THAT ALL I SHOULD HAVE TO DO??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IS CHANGING THE CLUTCH A BIG JOB OR DO I JUST HAVE TO CHANGE THE PLATES AND IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO NO WHEN DOING THE PLATES..
Hi
Sorry for the delay in responding

Changing the clutch plates is not a big job now

Remove retainers & nuts
Install a spring compressing tool, which is basically a steel bar with holes either end & a large central threaded hole in the middle.
The bar is secured at each end with a bolt so that it is diagonally across the clutch basket but not touching it
Through the central hole a large diameter boltscrews through the bar & presses on the clutch centre
Screw the central bolt in to relieve the pressure from clutch springs
Remove nuts, tool ,release disc & springs
Pry out the retaining ring with a small flat headed screwdriver or similar
Pull on the pressure plate studs to remove all clutch discs

Clutch assembly is the reverse of above
N.B.
Position chain adjuster loose behind the sprocket

Ride Safe
Bike-Doc