Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Suzuki: the answer about my motorcycle, I understand..carburator…

Customer Question
On the answer about my...
On the answer about my motorcycle, I understand about the gas, however I forgot to mention that it also pops when I shut it off, I am a female don't know if I can do the exercise you suggested, should I just take it to a Suzuki mechanic?? I have the manuels it only has 3180 miles on it, I should not have to replace the carburator yet?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/23/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
You were talking to Doug I will let him Know you are back on
Oh, okay, I have been reading some things on line about fuel and how it can break down in as little as 3 weeks is this also true?
Motorcycle Mechanic: Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician

You can just reply to me instead of asking a new question. That way you won't be charged again and I will see it. Otherwise I might not see your post and it will take longer to get you an answer.

Yes, fuel breaks down in just a few weeks in any product that vents to the atmosphere. Cars have sealed systems so they can make better use of the low grade fuels that are produced. Bikes and small engines need a higher grade fuel and I always use SeaFoam in everything I run so the gas stays good in case I don't use it for a few weeks. I forgot the fuel in the ATV over the winter, but it fired right up because I had done that. Otherwise I would have had to pull the carb and clean it.

Due to the low miles and age of the bike it must have sat for long periods of time. I think varnish build-up is your problem. Try the SeaFoam, being it only costs about $10 and it's worth a shot.

Your backfiring could be a couple of things. Some backfiring is normal on V motors due to the design. A dirty or plugged fuel system will make it much worse. If you have any leaks on the exhaust, that will also cause it to pop or bang. Raising up the idle a few hundred RPM may help the condition.

I don't think you will need to replace the carb. You may have to have them soaked and cleaned. I find the carbs on the V motors to be difficult to remove and install, but no harder to work on. I don't know your mechanical abilities, but if you have the basic tools and experience then you can do the job yourself. The worst part of the job is getting them off and on in my opinion.

Doug
Oh, okay, I have the tools, but the patience is not part of my being, I might ask someone else to do it, I will try the sea foam as you instructed, see if that helps. When I rode last night it was 3 weeks since I had been out, weather conditions and working schedule prevented me from ride any sooner, so I guess what you are saying makes sense. Exhaust leak, how can I tell if I have a leak, besides the popping?
The easiest way to spot an exhaust leak is to fire up the bike on a cool morning and watch for leaks where the pipes meet the engine and where they fit into the mufflers under the bike. Condensation builds up in the pipes when it's cold and you see the escaping steam as soon as heat hits it.

If you live in a warm climate, that doesn't work so well but the best time to look is still when the bike hasn't been run and is first fired up. Listen for popping sounds at the head area and try and feel for leaks near the muffler fittings. The pipes do built up heat quickly so don't touch the pipes once the motor starts.

Doug
One more thing if you don't mind, when the bike stalls and I have the problem of getting it started again, trying not to drain the battery should I give it throttle, that seems to be the only way it starts again, some people told me not to do that?
It all depends on why it stalls. If it's getting too much fuel then you need to open the throttle to allow more air. If it's not getting enough fuel, you need to close the throttle and maybe open the choke.

Only you will be able to know what works best.

Doug
Ok I got, Thank you
Good luck. Let me know if you need more info.

Doug
Will do, I just went to Napa to get Sea Foam, will try that out this evening.
Some old farmers told me about that stuff and I've been using it for years and it works good. The other brands I have tried do not work very well.

Doug
Well, Thanks for all you insight, I hope this works, it's my first motorcycle and I do not have a partner so these web sites help alot.
Let me know how it all works out.

I need to have the last say or it pops up in my box and keeps telling me to respond! LOL

Doug