Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2004 honda: start with the electric start, but will start by hand.

Customer Question
I have a 2004 honda...
I have a 2004 honda fourtrax 400. It will not start with the electric start, but will start by hand. when I turn the key on there are no lights or anything. if I use the winch or lights it kills the bike instantly. I did a volt test on the battery when the bike was running and it was about 13volts. Just wondering if you had any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/19/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic

The battery could be bad The battery needs to be load tested to see its condition and health. A battery may indicate a full charge condition in the battery voltage test and the specific gravity test, but still may not have the storage capacity necessary to properly function in the electrical system. For this reason, a battery capacity or load test should be conducted whenever poor battery performance is encountered. To perform this test, Verify the battery is fully charged. Then hook a multitester to the battery The reading should be 12.6 volts or greater. Engage the starter and observe the battery voltage while cranking the engine. Continue the test for 15 seconds. During cranking the observed voltage should not drop below 9.5 volts. If the beginning voltage is 12.6 volts or higher and the cranking voltage drops below 9.5 volts during the test, replace the battery.