Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I marked: the cam gear and chain and mag before taking it..compression…

Customer Question
Hi, I need to know...
Hi, I need to know how to time a 1981 XT250H, I marked the cam gear and chain and mag before taking it apart but it had no compression when i took it apart.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/18/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Andre Pilon, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Andre Pilon
Andre Pilon, Motorcycle Mechanic

hi,

There's a mark on the rotor ('T') and a mark on the case above the timing gear as well as a mark on the gear, align all the marks and you are timed. The 'T' in the timing hole on the rotor, the mark on the case with the one on the gear, all three have to be aligned.

You might want to take compression once you're done to see if you didn't bend a valve.