Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

It runs fine, rebuilt the carb, replaced all the gaskets..accelerator…

Customer Question
having trouble starting my 2000...
having trouble starting my 2000 XLH sportster 1200. but once I get it started it runs fine, rebuilt the carb, replaced all the gaskets, fuel lines and vacuum hoses, would rebuilding/replacing the accelerator pump help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/14/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

Welcome to Just Answer.

does the bike crank slow?

are you using the enrichener?

how old is the battery?

what brand is the battery?

when you look into the carb and twist the throttle, do you see fuel squirt into the carb?

please answer all questions in as much detail as possible.

Steve

the bike does not crank slow. electrical seems fine

I am using the enrichener, it seems to start after I pump the enrichener a few times.

the battery is new.

Its an after market battery I'm not sure what brand. it's got a cover over it.

fuel is squirting into the carb.

the starting sequence is as follows:

pull the enricher knob all the way out. (it should stay on it's own, if not, let me know)

twist the throttle a couple of times (so the accelerator pump can prime the engine).

push the start button. (do not touch the throttle while starting)

after the engine starts, adjust the enrichener for a smooth idle around 1500 rpm.

allow the engine to warm up for about 30 seconds, then ride.

you can push the enrichener knob all the way in while riding. if you get a "cough" from the carb, pull it back out a little until you can ride and idle without it.

if the engine is warm, the procedure is the same except that you shouldn't require the enrichener.

Steve