Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

bike..top end..stator..it burned up its on a 1986 kawasaki kdx…

Customer Question
Hi i wanted to...
Hi
i wanted to know if a bike would still run but ran poor on the top end and great on the lower half of the trottle if someone broke the windings on part of the stator only 2 seperate sets of windings and then loose spark all together because it burned up its on a 1986 kawasaki kdx 200
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/9/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 8 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi my name is Kenny

Generally if the coils for the ignition are damaged then usually you loose spark, are you running lights on this ?

Also do you have a multi-meter, volt/ohm meter ? if we want to check some of these voltages out of the stator ?

Thanks

Kenny

it was running it bogged on the top end wouldnt rap up its a 2 stroke and i notice that and ran it around for about 2 hours and it died and i lost spark coil and cdi are good i know that the stator is bad but not sure if that was causing the engine not rapping up all the way i rejetted and ran threw the book on it

Have you check the compression ?

I'm sure the stator has a lot to do with it, as the high tension coil and the CDI boxes rarely fail on your model.

Do you have a multi-meter ?

Kenny

i have a multi meter but not too fimilar with it the compression is right a 110 its got massive power for the first half throttle and responds GREAT but over half it starts backfiring and loosing rpms i pulled the stator off someone was in there messing with the wires the big coil goes to a yellow wire that goes no where and never has theres no lights or anything just scared to spend 350 on a nos stator there are ricky stator replacement coils on there but dont know if there any good or not i unplugged the stator and kicked it over and had a test light on each wire and only one gave a tiny bit of light really dim if i really laid into the kick starter the coil they had on the wrong side of the bracket and the expansion chamber worn on it and broke a tiny chunk off of it dont see any wiring where it broke but will buy a aftermarket high out put coil to put on it if you think there any good if not i will put a stock one on i dont think the CDI box is bad i have not ran into many bad CDI boxes and thats been in the 40 differnt atv's atc's and dirtbikes i have owned just never sure about stators

Thanks for getting back, great info !

I'm going to give you the resistance reading for this year, i would like you to check what you got, I'm sure you have a stator issue.

set you meter to the Rx1 scale on ohms, its usually the lowest setting, after that checked the paired wire resistance that I will give you below.

black ~ blue 104 ohms

black ~ white/red 38 ohms

blue ~ white/red 142 ohms

black ~ yellow .54 ohms

Let me know what you come up with, also if you have any questions please reply back and I'll be glad to answer.

Thanks

Kenny