Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

ss carb top end..miss i need help i tryed 2 coils dif carb..idel…

Customer Question
hi i have a 87...
hi i have a 87 fxrp with a ss carb top end was done motor has a shack at about 1300 rpm after that run smoth seem almost like a miss i need help i tryed 2 coils dif carb you can feel it when you just come off idel then when it is over 1300 rpm it smoths right out
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/9/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

Welcome to Just Answer.

what do the plugs look like?

look at the front motor mount. does the engine bracket rest on the rubber mount, or is there a gap between the bracket and the rubber part?

Steve

its not the mount its new its somthing in the motor it seems what can i check

what do the plugs look like?

are you getting a "cough" or misfire through the carb?

Steve

Edited by steve on 6/9/2010 at 3:24 PM EST
no the plug look good run good just has that shack at 1300 rpm after that smoths out
no misfire or cough i have a ss on it i tryed to put the stock carb back on it still did the same thing could it be in the cluch or somthing i am going to pull the primery what can i look 4

you indicated it was a miss in the engine.

the primary/clutch would have nothing to do with that.

are you sure the shake is from the engine, or could it be the drive train?

Steve

well if i go down the road i can feel it when i slow down when i pull the cluch in it stops i dont know

if it were related to the engine it would not stop.

your problem is in the drive train. (primary, clutch, transmission, rear belt)

check for evidence of the front exhaust pipe banging the frame. look for a dent in the pipe or heat shield.

tell me about when this started.

had you just added any accessories or performed any maintenance?

Steve

IF IT WAS IN DRIVE LINE WHY WOULD IT DO IT SITTING STILL

how would I know it did this when you were sitting still??????

you only stated it stopped when you pulled in the clutch.

is there anything I may need to know that you are not telling me?

also....please read my last answer and answer all the questions I have for you. it may help.

Steve

if you look befor i should have said when the bike is at 1300 rpm it will shake sitting or rolling thats why i said it seems like a miss but it runs good other then when your at 1300 rpm.sorry if i did not state that i think i did i am pulling my hair out .

tell me about when this started.

Steve

when i got the bike it had the shake i re-did the top end and new cam new push rods ,pipes new mounts carb it seems like it got a bit worse after i put it back to gether it just seems like motor but i could be wrong thats why i am asking u i know its a hard thing to fig out .do you think if it was motor bal it would do it all the rpms i also put in a vevteck ign

when i got the bike it had the shake i re-did the top end and new cam new push rods ,pipes new mounts carb it seems like it got a bit worse after i put it back to gether it just seems like motor but i could be wrong thats why  i am asking u i know its a hard thing to fig out .do you think if it was motor bal it would do it all the rpms i also put in a vevteck ign

I will address your other concerns after you answer.

Steve

Do u think it could be some thing in the fireing I know my volt meater is 12v untill I hit the gas how can I check this may be not getting the volts it should

it's difficult for me to tell without seeing the bike.

I've never seen an ignition problem that only occurs at 1300 rpm.

we have a couple of choices though......I could just guess or you could answer my info requests and we can figure it out.

please review my last info request and answer it as soon as possible.

Steve

exhaust pipe is not banging not touching anything

we don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I will opt out so you can work with another expert.

bets of luck.

Steve

can any one help me
can any one help me

I was feeling a little frustrated the other day (not your problem....I know).

we can give this another shot if you'd like?

look down at the engine and rev it up until you get the shake.

can you see the motor moving......... vibrating more???? can you "see" the shake?

Steve

Edited by steve on 6/15/2010 at 12:57 AM EST