Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

How do I check the timing on A grizzly 600

Answered in 1 day by:
5/30/2010
yamsuzpolaris
yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic
are you wanting to check the ignition spark timing or the camshaft timing? Mark
IT will not crank. It is firing and getting gas. I wanted to see if the timing was right.
cam timing does not come out of time by itself. the only real reason to check cam timing is if someone was inside of the engine to remove the cams, head, timing chain tensioner was removed, etc. if you were in there, let me know so we don't waltz around for no reason. as for the flywheel, stator, and ignition timing, this is all preset and non adjustable. you either have spark or you dont. there is no timing to adjust as long as you have spark. now you mention the engine will not crank. if you wish me to continue further to help you, please define "will not crank". I interpret the statement "it is firing" as it has SPARK on the spark plug when its in the plug cap and held down against the head when the starter button is pressed. So be more specific as to what exactly engine is doing OR not doing and I"ll help you. Mark
It has spark on the spark plug when its in the plug cap and held down against the head when the starter button is pressed. It is getting gas.It will not hit, just spins over not trying to hit. Does not backfire or nothing even if you put a little gas in spark plug hole.I changed the spark plug wire and coil. It has been setting up for about two years. I have not broke the engine down.
the part of it sitting for 2 years gets my attention. you say its getting gas, but I see thousands of times that when vehicle sits for even 1 year that gas will varnish in the carb and plug the tiny jets for the choke and the pilot circuit. when these are plugged, it wont start. usually when you take the spark plug out of the head, drip in a small cap full of gas, put the plug in and crank it over at least it should "vroom" then quit. there would be NO reason to go inside the engine unless it had no compression. possibly start with a compression check. with throttle wide open it should have at least 100-110 lbs of compression. let me know what it has. but I would be prepared to remove the carb, remove the float bowl, and find the choke pickup tube, the choke jet, and the pilot jet. spray a carb cleaner thru them till you can find where it sprays out the other end, usually inside of the carb throat. if you are not sure you are able to thoroughly trust the carb after you get inside of it, find a professional who can. even here we find a shop guy doesnt do a THOROUGH enough job and then just chases the problem round and round in a circle before someone else gets a chance to work on it. let me know what you think about this, Mark
I have have no compression checker but with plug out stick your finger in hole and it blows it out when motor is turned over. It will not hit with gas or starting fluid in spark plug hole when motor is turned over, just spin.
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
I think you need to check for spark under compression. A spark plug can fire on the head and not in the combustion chamber. It takes a lot more voltage to fire a plug under compression than a atmospheric pressure. You will need either an line spark tester or an inductive timing light. If you use the timing light you can also check the ignition timing by removing the plug on the left crank cover and shining the light down the hole and looking for the F mark. This is easiest to do with the spark plug laying on the head so he crank spins fairly easily. If you don't have spark under compression, try a brand new, NOT CLEANED spark plug and re-test. If it still doesn't spark with a new plug, check the resistance of the plug cap. It should be around 5000 ohms resistance. If you can't see the F mark when checking the ignition timing, the flywheel key could be sheared.
Thanks
RSRBOB
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
RSRBOB
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician