Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 1995 Honda Shadow VLX I think it is a 600 cc. It has

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Honda Shadow VLX I think it is a 600 cc. It has dual staggered slash cut exaust, that has no balance tube between them. The bike seems to run ok however it pops on deceleration from the front jug. The front plug the exaust pipe has a little bluing at the cylinder. The front plug is a little lean the back cylinder seems a little rich. Is this a single carburetor? It appears it needs adjustment.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 7 years ago.

The VT600 has two carbs. No VLX in 1995 in the states.

I would also check for exhaust leaks as a lean fuel mixture or a exhaust leak can cause a deaccleration back fire.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this a single carb like a harley? There appears to be no exhaust leaks. I haven't seen one burn so lean and the other burn so rich.graphic

I see the you have a lean spark plug that is what is hard about a single carb with twin cylinders to make both cylinders run well with one fuel source.

Or you could have a air leak. you would need carb clean and spray it on the intake manifold area while the bike is running. If you get any substantial increase in RPM you will need to pin point the place the air is leaking for in the intake track and repair the leak. the common areas of failure are the in between the intake boot and cylinder head. the intake boot its self will crack.

also a weak cylinder can cause a lean condition as a worn cylinder needs more fuel to run correctly. this can be verified with a compression test.

this is what I see for a shadow 600

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have the rest of the carb IPC? Do you have an adjustment procedure for the carb? I suspect someone has been tweaking on it previously.

DO NOT KNOW WHAT IPC IS COULD YOU HELP ME UNDERSTAND?

carb specs are:

Float level: 7.0 mm (0.28 in)

Main jet: #115

Slow jet: #40

Pilot screw initial opening: 2.5 turns

Idle speed (+/- 100 rpm): 1200 rpm

Edited by Jeff Policky on 5/15/2010 at 3:20 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
illustrated parts catalog ( exploded View). Thanks for the specs on the carb., can i have the adj. procedure for idle speed mixture adjustment etc. You know the screws on the outside of the carb and idenify their positions. I think someone has been fooling with them and I would like to check to see if they are close.Thanks

try this link it should give you the info you want. If not let me know.

VT600C/CARBURETOR_COMPONENTS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I also need an adjust procedure for the mixture and idle ect. on the outside of the carb
the mixture screw is tuned until the highest idle is achieved and the turn the screw in a 1/8 of a turn and the idle is adjusted to 1200 RPMs. carb sycrnization if you have two cars are needed but a sync gages are needed to do that job.

You are correct the VLX is a VT600CD that is its model code and it has a single carb.