Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

belt on a 2005 kawasaki 700 prairie 4x4 belt light came on

how do i reset or...
how do i reset or check belt on a 2005 kawasaki 700 prairie 4x4 belt light came on
4/12/2010
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic

KFX700 models store engine running time in the igniter and the Belt Check Indicator light is illuminated after 100 hours of engine running time. When the Belt Check Indicator light comes on, follow these procedures to reset the hour meter:

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Inspect and replace the drive belt as necessary

3. Remove the seat.

4. Locate the two, 4-pin connectors (A) under the seat. One connection is black and the

other is gray.

5.Disconnect both sets of 4-pin connectors, and reconnect the 4-pin connectors to their

opposite color, i.e., gray-to-black and black to gray.

6. Turn on the ignition switch. The hour meter resets immediately when the key is turned ON.

7. The Belt Check Indicator light should be flashing.

8. Turn off the ignition switch.

9. Disconnect the mismatched 4-pin connector sets and reconnect them normally (black to black, gray-to-gray).

10. Turn on the ignition switch and confirm that the indicator light is no longer on.

how to check drive belt and adjust if needed

Remove the torque converter cover

Measure the width of the belt at several locations If any measurements exceed the service limit, replace the belt.

Belt Width

Standard: 29.7 ∼ 30.3 mm (1.169 ∼ 1.193 in.)

Service Limit: 28.0 mm (1.102 in.)

Check the belt for abnormal wear.

When using the belt of large abnormal wear, the drive belt failure detection switch could be activated.

Check the belt for cracks, breaks, or peeling. If necessary, replace the belt with a new one.Whenever the belt is replaced, inspect the drive and the driven pulleys.

Drive Belt Deflection Inspection

Put the transmission in neutral and rotate the driven pulley by hand to make sure the belt is shifted all the way to the top of the driven pulley.

Measure the belt deflection by Place a straightedge on top of the belt between the drive pulley and the driven pulley. Use a ruler to push the belt away from the straightedge.

Push hard, but with no more force than 59 N (6 kgf, 13 lb).

Belt Deflection

Standard: 22 ∼ 27 mm (0.87 ∼ 1.06 in.)

If the belt deflection is not within the specified range, adjust the deflection by adding or removing spacers on the fixed sheave of the driven pulley. When adjusting the deflection, less is better than more. Less deflection will maintain better performance for more time as the belt width decreases by normal wear, which causes the deflection to increase with usage.

If the belt deflection is more than 27mm(1.06 in.), remove the spacers to decrease it.

The rule-of-thumb is: 0.1mm(0.004 in.) change in spacer thickness equals about 1.3 mm (0.051 in.) change in belt deflection. If the adjustment cannot be done within the specified range even if the shim is removed, replace the drive belt. If the belt deflection is less than 22 mm (0.87 in.), add the spacers to increase it. The rule-of-thumb is: 0.1mm(0.004 in.) change in spacer thickness equals about 1.6 mm (0.063 in.) change in belt deflection.

When using the plural spacers, install the thick spacer to the movable sheave side and thin spacer to the fixed sheave side.

sorry for delay unable to tell difference in 4 pin connectors for belt lite reset do you have diaghram or pic. thanks!

It is all good life get busy

it is one gray connector and one black connector then connect it gray-to-black and black to gray.

graphic

jeff received pic. i cannot find the plugs shown are we looking at 2005 kawasaki 700a 4x4 prairie this view is under seat correct am i missing what to look for or just stupid thanks for all the help so far Bill
Glenn Adams II
Glenn Adams II, Motorcycle/ATV Technician
Here's the procedure to reset the light on the KVF700 model which you are refering to :
1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover. Note: These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the fuel tank; one is black and one is grey.

3. Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs (grey to black and black to grey).

4. Turn the ignition switch ON.

5. Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover. (Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

6. Observe the belt-warning lamp. It should be flashing at a 0.4 second interval for a few seconds then start to flash slower. Let the lamp flash for at least seven seconds.

7. After seven seconds or more, turn the ignition switch off.

8. Reconnect 5 pin connectors to their proper location (black to black, grey to grey).

9. Connect the belt failure switch 2-pin connector (wires from CVT cover).

10. Turn the ignition switch on to confirm that the belt warning light is not flashing. Retry this procedure if needed.

If this doesn't work, then the belt switch inside the CVT cover is tripped, and needs to be re-set to "on". Reinstall CVT cover, then re-try above procedure. Note: do not turn on ignition switch with CVT cover off!

Edited by Glenn Adams II on 4/15/2010 at 3:00 AM EST
Glenn Adams II
Glenn Adams II
Glenn Adams II