Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

My 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin 4x4 dosent have spark any

Customer Question
more and im thinking the...
My 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin 4x4 dosent have spark any more and im thinking the "pickup" (down by the stator) for the ignition coil is bad, and was wondering if there is any way of testing it to see if its still working? Thanks... Ken Gingerich
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
2/23/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: A.Knight, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 7 years ago
A.Knight
A.Knight, Motorcycle Mechanic
I do not have the exact spec for the pulser coil in front of me, but it typically should read around 100 ohms. The pulser failing on this model is very rare. The CDI ignition module and ignition coils are housed in a single module located in the front compartment near the steering post on your ATV. The Ignition module was made by Ducati and commonly fails on these models. If your pulser coil checks out, and the battery is fully charged and in good condition, most likely the ignition module is bad.

The module is labeled #15 on this diagram : http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2002-polaris-atv-sportsman-700-a02ch68-aa-ab-ac-a02ch68-ca-cb-magneto/o/m5552sch311106

*if you swapped with the 2004 stator assebmly and it did not fire, most likely your stator and pulser are fine...
Alright, i will have to check this out on the '02 pulser. but the thing is the 2004 parts had a different pulser.. it was installed on the outside/through of the magneto cover and the magneto had a "toothed" ring out around it and got its "reading or spark" that way..... so im not convinced yet that the pulser is ok. i will have to check it. also do you have a way of checking the CDI module & the Coil module to see if they are good or bad? Thanks!
Sounds like the 2004 pulser you are using is off an EFI model? If so, it is definitely not compatible. If you would like, I will get you the exact spec and which wires to test when I get the shop in the morning and have access the the service manual.

the only way to test the Module is through the process of elimination. I will get you all the other ignition system specs in the morning if that works for you?

Yes, i had connected the 2004 parts and they were off an EFI model.. sorry about that. And yes, i would definently appreciate all the specs/help i can get for this! thanks, & we'll stay in touch! .. Ken

OK, I'll get the info to you first thing in the morning...

O by the way, i just thot about it that with the oringinal pulser (the 2002 pulser) it would every now and then have spark just for a half a second or a second, right when i would try to start the engine. but would then be gone for good till i would quit cranking and try again.

The wires for the pulser coil on the stator are Black and Red. It should read 360 ohms minimum and 410 ohms max. The tests for the stator are the following:
Capacitor charge coil: Brown to Yellow = 5.4 ohms to 7.3 ohms max.
battery Charge coil: Yellow to Yellow/Red = .15 to .20 ohms.
Ignition Coil (remove both spark plug caps and read from the inside of one to the inside of the other) = 12,000 ohms with the spark plug caps installed. And 1800 to 2400 with the caps removed.

Like I stated before there is no test for the CDI module so if these other tests all check out then you are going to have to replace it.

One other thing that could be causing this problem...There is a safety switch installed inside the throttle housing on the handlebar. it's called the ETC switch. If the throttle cable is too tight, it may have tripped this switch, which would cut the ignition on the ATV. To check it, remove the plastic cover from the throttle housing, you will see 2 small electrical contacts inside there. This is the ETC switch. With the throttle sitting there without being pushed, there should be a 1/16 to 1/8" gap between these contacts. If they are touching, you will need to adjust the throttle cables freeplay until you get the proper gap. That should fix the issue if the ETC switch was the trouble...Good luck!
A.Knight
A.Knight, Motorcycle Mechanic
A.Knight
A.Knight
A.Knight, Motorcycle Mechanic