Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

Head light and tail lights won't work replaced voltage

Customer Question
regulator checked for broken wires...
head light and tail lights won't work replaced voltage regulator checked for broken wires still no go
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
2/21/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 years ago
yamsuzpolaris
yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic
here is what makes lights run on that sled. coming right out of engine the wire harness there should have a yellow wire in it. thats where voltage comes from to run the lights only when the engine is running. to check and make sure light coil under flywheel in the engine is working, unplug this yellow wire only, put a voltmeter red test lead to the yellow wire and the black test lead to motor block itself (ground) and start up motor. with voltmeter set to ac voltage, you should see anywhere from 6-20 volts. if you rev motor above idle the voltage should increase. if you do, that means coil is working. if no voltage, coil is bad. to proceed onward, the yellow wire coming from the engine wire harness should plug into a blue wire of the sleds main wire harness. this is now the wire that carries the voltage to both lights. the blue wire goes to the hi/lo beam switch. it comes out from there as low (green) beam and as high beam (yellow). again you can use voltmeter to test for voltage at headlight plug. if you had voltage from coil, but not at headlight plug, that tells you hi/lo beam switch is corroded. the taillight also gets its power from the blue wire. all the voltage regulator does is limit the voltage to the bulbs as the engine speed increases. you can unplug the regulator, but if you rev the engine the lights will get really bright and burn the filaments, so dont rev motor too much at all. also it should be noted that if you test for and have voltage at the plugs that plug onto the bulb, and bulbs still dont work, then trace the black wires from the connectors to make sure thay are grounded. also test from black wire at bulb sockets from bulb contact post to a good ground. it really is a very simple system. make sure you have output from engine lighting coil. make sure you voltage all the way to bulb sockets. make sure bulb sockets have good grounds. Mark
yamsuzpolaris
yamsuzpolaris
yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic