Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
7400257

Have a 93 Arctic Cat Jag 440...connector to the kill and key switch

Customer Question

Have a 93 Arctic Cat Jag 440. Getting no spark. Unplugged the connector to the kill and key switch and still no spark. Measured the resistance of the internal coil and got 28 ohms. Investigated and found a broken wire on the internal coil. Replaced the internal coil, put it all back together and still don't have spark. What should I do next?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 7 years ago.

If this is the single carb Jag, unplug the main connector at the engine block and check again for spark. If it's a dual carb Jag, unplug the connector and jump the brown and black wire on the engine side of the connector and check for spark. Do you have spark?

If not, check resistance on the brown wire, on the engine side of the connector to the engine block. Does this show a grounded condition?

Doug
Arctic Cat CatMaster
Expert:  Doug E. replied 7 years ago.
What have you found?

Doug
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Doug,
I have a single carb Jag with two connectors coming from the engine (4 pin and 3 pin with another individual wire). The resistance I measured between the brown wire on the 4 pin connector coming out of the case and the case was less than one ohm so it appears there is a good ground connection there. I also measured resistances on the three pin connector coming out of the engine. My understanding is that two of these wires are connected to the internal ignition coil (black with red trace and red with white trace). Resistance between these two is 21 ohms. Resistance between Bk/R and case was also 21 ohms. Resistance between R/W and case was less than one ohm. This doesn't seem right to me. Could there be a short in the wiring along with the broken wire I found originally?
Expert:  Doug E. replied 7 years ago.
With the 4 pin plug disconnected it bypasses all of the wiring and switches. Do that first to see if you have spark. I have posted the test specs below. If the wiring colors don't match what you have, let me know what colors you have going into the CDI box.

There is a clamp on the stator plate that the wires run through. This is the most common place to see a wiring failure.

Doug

Testing spark plug cap resistance
1. Remove the spark plug caps from the high tension leads (turn counterclockwise).
2. Set the ohmmeter selector knob in the X1 K position.
3. Touch leads together and zero meter.
4. In turn on each cap, touch a test lead to each end of the spark plug cap.
5. Reading must be 5000 ohms ± 20%.
Testing ignition coil primary resistance
1. Disconnect the double plug from the CDl unit to the ignition coil.
2. Set the ohmmeter selector knob in the X1 position and zero the meter.
3. Touch the red ohmmeter lead to the white/blue lead in the coil double plug. Touch
the remaining black test lead to the black/white lead of the coil.
4. Reading must be 0.3 ohms ± 15%.
Testing ignition coil secondary resistance
1. Remove the two spark plug caps from the high tension leads.
2. Set the ohmmeter selector knob in the X1 K position and zero the meter.
3. Touch the leads to the high tension leads making sure you are making good contact
with the wires.
4. Reading must be 6300 ohms ± 20%.
Testing charge coil resistance
1. Disconnect the triple-wire plug from the CDl unit to the magneto.
2. Set the ohmmeter selector knob in the X100 position and zero the meter.
3. Touch the red test lead to the red/white wire in the triple plug and touch the black
test lead to the black/white wire in the triple plug.
4. Reading must be 160 ohms ± 20%.
Testing trigger coil resistance
2. Set the ohmmeter selector knob in the X10 position and zero the meter.
3. Connect the red test lead to the black/red lead in the triple-plug from magneto and
connect the black test lead to the red/white test lead in the triple-plug.
4. Reading must be.17 ohms ± 20%.
Testing lighting coil resistance
1. Disconnect the 4-prong connect.or from the magneto wiring harness.
2. Set the ohmmeter selector knob' in the X1 position and zero the meter.
3. Touch the two test 1eads to the two yellow leads in the 4-prong connector.
4. Reading must be 0.22 ohms ± 20%.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Doug,
The wire colors matched. I checked all resistance values and everything is in spec. Does that mean that the CDI needs to be replaced? Is there any way to check it out?
Expert:  Doug E. replied 7 years ago.
It's very tough to test CDIs even with the factory tester. If you have a peak voltage tester you might be able to see if you have any voltage going to the coils when you pull the motor over. If you have no voltage, it's no good.

If you test everything else and it's ok, that just leaves the CDI. Do you have any buddies with a similar machine that you can swap it with? A number of Jags and Lynx use the same box. I have a box of CDIs that I use for testing, it's the only sure fire test I know.

Doug