Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

Special: you remove the primary clutch on a john deere gator

Customer Question
how do you remove the...
how do you remove the primary clutch on a john deere gator. Do you need any special tools?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
1/29/2010
Motorcycle Mechanic: Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician replied 7 years ago
Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician

Yes, you need a special puller to remove the clutch. The part number should be JDG813-1. I can't find them for sale anywhere online, and they are not cheap from John Deere. You might have to drag it down to the dealer and have them pull it off for you. They shouldn't charge more than a few bucks if you already have the cover off.

Doug

Edited by Kawasaki Doug on 1/29/2010 at 8:04 PM EST

I have two engines one from a John Deere 4x2 gator and another from a John Deere AMT622. The engines are both fe290d but the primary clutches are different design. The AMT clutch actually sits farther away from the engine. About one inch while the 4x4 is only maybe 1/4 of an inch.

You mention taking the cover off. Is this the cover that actually mounts onto the engine?

What I would like to do if possible is take the cover off the engine that the shaft goes through and then put that cover on the other engine. Basically I am trying to combine two engines into one to save some money in having to rebuild or buy another engine.

So can this be done without using any special tools?

If not do you happen to know if the shaft on the 4x2 gator is tapered? I am trying to find an engine that I can use to replace the 4x2 gator engine.

They sell Gator repower units on a couple of websites. These are either Briggs motors or Kawasaki motors that bolt in and have the same shaft so the clutches will work. If you have another motor, you shouldn't need to spend that much money.

Almost all of the Kawasaki motors use the same shaft end so you can probably just swap clutches. If the engines are out, just take them into a dealer and have the clutches pulled. You just need to pull the center bolt and insert the tool. I normally charge about $5 for this, unless it's rusted on or I have to rethread the housing or some other problem. The cover I was talking about was the main plastic housing over the belt area.

You could use the newer clutch and engine if you can line up the clutches. I think the AMT has slotted engine mounts. You would need to move the engine enough so the belt rides the same. Before removing your old engine, make your measurements with a straight edge on the belt. Line up the new engine to match. This has to be done with the repower engines also. Just look at your motor mounting bolts to see if you have enough adjustment there.

The AMT clutch uses a Comet snowmobile puller from what I remember, so I wouldn't go out and waste money on two pullers. The newer clutch should give better service and more power.

I'm going to look for the 622 alignment specs, but I know I don't have that manual here at home so it may take some digging. If you haven't removed the stock motor yet, measure center to center on the bolts between the clutches and check the offset with a straight edge and the alignment from the edge of the sheave to the straight edge on the front of the clutch and at the rear of the clutch. (The belt stays in alignment as the clutches move.)

Doug

I have found an engine to replace the engine for my 4x2 at

www.smallenginewarehouse.com but I am hoping to go the other route.

But I am hoping to use the engine from the AMT622. I guess I won't know for sure if it will work until I take it into a John Deere dealer to have the clutches removed. But from pictures it looks like the shaft is longer on the AMT engine.

The compression on the engine I am removing is only 60 pounds. The one I hope to use is only 120 but it should be useable for awhile. Though is does use oil.

Do you think it is possible to take the shaft, engine cover and clutch in all one piece, of one engine and put it on the other? I don't know how it attaches inside the engine itself?

This in theory would eliminate having to remove the clutches. The John Deere dealer here are not always the cheapest to use. But that may be my only option.

As long as the clutches line up, you can leave the clutch on the new engine. As long as there is enough adjustment in the engine mounting holes, that's possible.

You have to remove the clutch to take the engine apart.

Here is a link to the shop manual for the engine. You can purchase all of the parts online from a number of sources if your local dealer isn't much help.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kawasaki_Service_and_Repair_Manuals/FE120_FE170_FE250_FE290_FE350_FE400_SERVICE_REPAIR_MANUAL.pdf

Those motors are very durable and easy to work on, so unless you have tossed the connecting rod out the case, it might be better to rebuild what you have. There is a complete parts list in the manual so you can price out what you will need. In most cases, a gasket and seal kit and a OS piston and ring set will get you back up and running like new. If the rod and crankshaft aren't bad, it's a much cheaper way to go.

If you can't rebuild the motor you have and your new motor won't fit with the clutch it has, remove both clutches and swap them. One should fit on the other.

Doug
Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician

Thanks for all your help and tips. It will make things go alot smoother.

GREAT JOB!!

You are very welcome. Good luck!

Doug
Doug E.
Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician