Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have a 2005 suzuki eiger 400, It backfires through the carb.

Customer Question
It ran great until I...
I have a 2005 suzuki eiger 400, It backfires through the carb. It ran great until I brought it in for the 100 hour tune up. that was 4 years ago dealer kept saying he had it fixed. Still does same thing. any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
11/6/2009
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hi Don,

a backfire through the carb can only be caused by a serious misadjustment in timing. it would take the timing being out by about 180 degrees for this to happen.

a "cough" out of the carb is a classic symptom of a lean air/fuel mixture. a lean mis-fire.

if this is the classic lean mis-fire, as I suspect, and the jets have not been changed since before this condition appeared, the usual cause is a vacuum leak at the intake manifold seals, either where the carb attaches, or where the intake manifold attaches to the head. another possibility is a vacuum diaphram leak in the carb.

Steve

Dealer called Suzuki japan, they checked your suggestions, They truly do not know what is causing it. it is more of mis fire ( cough) the dealer called it a backfire through the carb. This machine ran great until the 100 hour tune up recomended by Suzuki. I just don't know neither does the Dealer service dept. any other suggestions.

PS. It could be 80 degrees and I could be running for 1/2 hour and it usually does it when you first start or sometimes when your trying to run at a steady speed

This has already been tried, Dealer called Suzuki Japan. Quad will usually mis fire when starting out or when trying to run at a steady speed. I need help

Don,

you have a lean air/fuel mixture.

you either have vacuum leak, low compression or a restricted fuel supply resulting in a low float level.

check the compression and check the fuel delivery.

Steve

Steve this happend after the 100 Hour Tune up recomended by Suzuki, it ran great up to then. What could have the service dept have done to cause this. all fuel ssytems have been checked
Steve: I have put 3 Plugs into this in 3 years they all were all black carboned up like machine was running rich

Don,

all I can do is tell you what causes a lean misfire.

I can't tell you what happened at the dealership....I wasn't there.

if you want to fix your problem you are going to have to help me help you.

if you are unwilling to do that, let me know and I will opt out now.

black plugs and lean misfire indicate low compression.

Steve

The Quad is at the dealer ship now I will take info to them. I will let you know what happens tomorrow

Don,

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

I picked up quad today, Dealer reviewed your answer and said," they Checked same and then some". I don't know what to do next. I will however accept so you can get paid, if anyone knows what could cause this please reply
Motorcycle Mechanic: ...., .... replied 8 years ago
....
...., ....
Hi Don,

There are many things that ham handed mechanics can do wrong at a dealer, just because they were hired by the dealer doesn't really equate to much. The dealer tech could have adjusted the valves on the tight side. The dealer could have leaned out the carb. Someone needs to address: the choke being stuck on or leaking air, try jetting up or down to see it that changes anything, and setting up proper fuel mixture. If the plugs are black/carboned up, you are are going to have to determine if that is because it is loading up due to low rpm use, choke stuck on, or rich mixture.

....
...., ....
....
....
...., ....