Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

kawasaki..starter engage and destroy itself..starter switch…

I have a 2002 Kawasaki...
I have a 2002 Kawasaki 125 eliminator and while riding I had the starter engage and destroy itself. What could cause this to occur? The starter switch appears to be in good shape. The starter relay still latches when you click the stater switch. Help.
9/5/2009
Motorcycle Mechanic: Glenn Adams II, Motorcycle/ATV Technician replied 13 years ago
Glenn Adams II
Glenn Adams II, Motorcycle/ATV Technician

Hello Yonah,

2 things could have caused this. A loose wire in the starter switch or a faulty solenoid.

Take the starter switch apart and look for loose connections that could have closed the circuit..

As far as the solenoid goes. It will need to be replaced. This is the most likely cause.

I don't believe it could be the starter switch, because it has to be in neutral for the starter to engage. I have replaced the starter and it appears to work fine, but I am not going to leave the starter connected. I can start the bike and disconnet the starter, but this does not really fix the issue. Could it be the relay or is it still more likely the solenoid, and why does it now still work?
The issue that you have is intermentant and it is lees expensive to have to replace another starter. The solenoid is the relay in your case.

Mr BillinsD sugested that Maybe the starter clutch had a momentary hang-up....?

How is it coming along?

I appreciate the information given so far, but it really does not pin point my problem. I was hoping for someone who has had this specific problem on a Kawasaki 125 and can tell me exatly what caused the problem. The electrical starting system of this motorcycle has the keyed starter switch, starter button, a neutral switch, a kickstand switch, a relay, and what Kawasaki calls the igniter along with the entire wiring in the harness. One or more of these devices shorted and caused my starter to engage while riding and until I know where the problem is I am going to disconnect the starter after I start the machine. I do not want to just replace one the the other devices hoping the problem is fixed and than have to replace another $240 starter.
Thanks

Understood. I am not a parts changer but I can tell you now.

The only thing that activates the starter is the starter button and the solenoid.

Solenoids do kick on out of no where.

The only test for an intermentant solenoid problem is to remove it from the bike. Attach the 2 leads from a multi meter to the power in/power out posts. With the meter on and in ohms/resistance/continuity selection... shake and or bang the solenoid on a table. If there is even the slightest reading.

Replace the solenoid.

Glenn Adams II
I'm assuming you are refering to the relay on this bike and not the solenoid. I'm still very leary of the problem and I believe I will continue to disconnect the starter until the relay problem manifests and I know for sure.
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 13 years ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hi Bear,

I'm going to try to help you out at Gless' request.

none of this makes sense to me.

for the starter to engage while riding, the solenoid (relay) must energize, which, as you already pointed out, requires a closure on the starter button, the neutral indicator switch and the kickstand switch.....all at the same time. this is not likely.

to verify this, attempt to start the bike in the following conditions:

- in neutral, kickstand down.

- in gear (clutch disengaged), kickstand up.

- ingear (clutch disengaged), kickstand down.

please let me know if you even get a "click" from the solenoid.

the only other reasonable explanation for an intermittent engagement, would be if the signal lead from the solenoid were intermittently shorted to the positive battery cable.

what I suspect is the most likely cause is that the starter never disengaged after the start and, as MrBill suggested, the starter clutch jammed, then as you rode the bike the excess rpm resulted in starter failure.

the starter may be prevented from disengaging after a start due to mechanical binding in the solenoid linkage which engages the starter clutch and pinion gear during the start sequence.

Steve