Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

grizzly yamaha wont start

Customer Question

grizzly yamaha won't start
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bikee replied 8 years ago.
Yes, there is too much fuel in the carb. You can also let it sit for about 15 minutes and try again.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's been sitting for two weeks. No go. No change. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Bikee replied 8 years ago.
check the engine oil level and plug wire (coil) pull out the plug and clean it....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked the oil--Looks good. I don't know what you mean about the plug wire, so I didn't do anything about that part of your advice. I wouldn't expect their to be a problem with the oil though, like I said, the oil was changed very recently.

After resting for over a week, it still won't start. It is acting like it is flooded, but it's acting this way from the very 1st attempt, so that doesn't make much sense to me.

Thanks if anyone has any other thoughts.
Expert:  Bikee replied 7 years ago.
thats why i told you to clean the carb.... Otherwise its ok no problem thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
k. I'll clean the carb & let you know what happens.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sprayed carb cleaner & there was no change. took out air filter & checked hoses. all look clean & dry. there are only 500 hours on this ATV. no hard use.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

If it is a 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI, then it would be fuel injected. On a 'no start' problem, initial checks would be to determine if it is an electrical problem or fuel related issue. Remove the sparkplug, re-attach it to sparkplug wire and lay it against any metal. Determine if there is spark while starting:
  • if no spark, then it would be an electrical/ignition problem;
  • if there is spark, determine if fuel is being injected into the combustion chamber. it would be noticeable since the sparkplug hole is open and the smell of fuel would be apparent.

Postback results of above initial test. Thereafter an appropriate diagnostic approach could be forwarded.

Good luck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Benimur! The machine is indeed a 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI. There is a spark and there is a noticable smell of fuel. Thanks for your efforts.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
Initially, dry the inside of the combustion chamber through the sparkplug hole. Spray the inside with a can of compressed air and crank the engine with no sparkplug. Try again. If still a no-go, then based on no warning lights and the presence of spark as well as fuel possibilities are:
  • stuck (open) fuel injector. Remove to inspect. Fuel should be squirting out in a pulsing manner when cranking. A continous squiritng would confirm stuck open;
  • faulty ECU (engine control unit). This sends the electrical signals to the injector when and how often to open (squirt). Test involves checking for the presence of pulsating voltage on 1 of the wires going to the injector.
In the image below, the blue component is the fuel injector.

graphic
In the image below, the green component is the ECU.

graphic
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Benimur,

When I took the spark plug out the other day to check it, I noticed the end of it was pretty dark/dirty looking. I went ahead and bought a new spark plug to replace it. Presto! She started right up!

It still seems odd to me that they didn't check this when I had the mechanics do oil change and everything else last month. But she's up and running now regardless. How long are spark plugs supposed to last? I've not taken it for a test drive, but maybe I can do that today.

Thanks Benimur, for having me look at the spark plug to begin with.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
Interesting, as the sparkplug would normally be the first to be checked and/or replaced. This is because the condition of the sparkplug tip would already be indicative of so many aspects on the engine's performance. This chart may interest you.

Sparkplug would be good for several thousand kilometers depending on use, quality of fuel and condition of the engine.

Glad that the Grizzly is now running. Ride Safe.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hmmm... Several thousand kilometers huh? I only have 500 miles on this machine. I hope the fouled spark plug is not a sign of other issues...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
AHH just clicked the link to the chart. That is helpful! Tks again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
Apppreciate the link to the other reference.

500 miles and fouled plugs, you may want to confer back with the shop that did the maintenance/full tune-up..