Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

How do I change the battery on a BMW R110R motorcycle?

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
8/10/2009
Motorcycle Mechanic: Wicked Wrench, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Wicked Wrench
Wicked Wrench, Motorcycle Mechanic
Here's a nice tutorial!

http://members.macconnect.com/users/k/karl/bmwbattery.html

Good Luck & Have Fun!
The Battery is under the Gas Tank. No Faring.
The bike is a 2001, BMW, R1100R. the battery is not under the seat. There is no faring and the battery is under the gas tank. Removing the air filter does nothing. The battery will slide out from the left but what needs to be done to get the gas tank lifted?
Do you have the seat off??
The seat is off. the air cleaner is off and it's attachment. I had to use a star wrench to get that off. The air out take is off and the gas tank cowl is off. It looks like the battery slides out of the left side but the gas tank end at the seat is directly over it so that it looks like the gas tank must be lifted up in order to remove the battery.
Looks like you have to cock the battery forward to get around the tank. This doesn't look like an easy task my friend!

So will you explain how to remove the tank or the battery without removing the tank? I already did the forward thing. I wouldn't have requested help if I could do that.

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/R11Manual/Oilhead_GS_Maintenance_1-20-02.pdf

Here's a link to a complete maintenance manual. There is a 6mm torx on the right side of the tank. Remove, but be careful not to lose the nut on the back side. Slide the tank back & remove the battery. Be careful of your FI lines.

Good Luck!

Wicked Wrench
Wicked Wrench, Motorcycle Mechanic
OK: I was wondering about that because I couldn't see a way to remove the tank from the left side. I have a couple of zip ties to close the fuel lines. Thanks.
OK!